Southeast Asia forum

Yet more itinerary help pleaseee

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Hello all,
    I've put together a basic itinerary with ALOT of help from travelfish. Was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look over and point out any blaring mistakes I've made/ must see sights that I've missed. Thanks so much

Bangkok (3 nights)
    Sukhothai (2nights)
    Pai (2 nights)
    Chiang Mai (5 nights)
    Travel via slow boat (3 nights)
    Luang Prabang (4 nights)
    Vang Vieng (2 nights)
    Vientiane (2 nights)
    Overnight bus to hanoi (DOES THIS EXIST?!)
    Hanoi (2 nights)
    Hue (3 nights)
    Hoi An (2nights)
    Nha Trang (4 nights)
    Saigon (2nights)
    Kep (2 nights)
    Phnom penh (2nights)
    Angkor wat (4nights)
    Travel to BKK (2 days travel)
    Fly to Surat Thani
    Ko Pha Ngan (3 nights)
    Ko Tao (3 nights)
    BKK. Fly home

Sorry it might look a bit confusing, please let me know any thoughts you have. Thanks so much for your help everyone its much appreciated!x

#1 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 18:46

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Looks like a pretty organised trip :). still a lot of travelling for 2 months.
    I took the overnight bus once from Hanoi to Vientiane (approx 22h) so I think there should be one the other way around as well.
    I'd pick a day of from Chiang Mai and add it to Hanoi (as you probably want to go to halong bay as well)

#2 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 17:31

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks for your reply. I've got around 10 "spare" days as well so hopefully I can slow down a bit. Also, I'm doing this trip from July-September. If anyones done the same-ish route at this time of year could you let me know of any problems you encountered? Thankyou

#3 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 22:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It all depends on what you are looking for of course, but if it were me I would tend to ...

- cut Hue back to 2 nights, and add an extra night in Hoi An
    - consider one less night in Nha Trang. It really isn't that special....
    - double-check your plan to get from HCMC to Kep. Not sure how you can do this.... (not saying you can't, just not sure how it will be done unless you go via PP)
    - only two nights in PP might not be enough, depending on your plans. One day spent getting there, one day getting from PP to Siem Reap leaves one full day in PP, which presumably will go to S-21 and Killing Fields. Doesn't leave much time for anything else. That may be OK, but just be aware.

In fact, you need to consider that a day is spent travelling between most places, but the time you get to the bus station/airport, wait, travel, wait, get checked in to the next place, etc. 4-hour travel time is NEVER 4 hours! When planning, I like to count up the number of FULL days spent in each place, then consider the sort of activities that you want to do there and be sure you will have enough time to accomplish everything WITHOUT running yourself ragged trying to do it all. I'm a big believer in building in a couple of days R&R time every week or two otherwise you can burn out.

(BTW - I've only reviewed the that places that I have been to as the basis of my comments - ie Vietnam and some parts of Thailand.)

#4 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 03:44

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks very much for your thoughts lizzy. Im considering cutting out Vietnam completely which is ironic really as thats the country I was first attracted to out of all four. Its going to be soo difficult to cut it down!

#5 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 04:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Look at it this way: you can always come back to Vietnam for another trip. That means you that you can have a trip dedicated to Vietnam and more importantly it gives you something to look forward to when you come back from the first trip!

#6 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 05:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Another itinerary to check... pleaseee! ... By kitsune on 11 Apr 2010 1 1530 14 Apr 2010