Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Yet more itinerary help pleaseee

Posted by andrea13 on 30/7/2010 at 18:46

Hello all,
I've put together a basic itinerary with ALOT of help from travelfish. Was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look over and point out any blaring mistakes I've made/ must see sights that I've missed. Thanks so much

Bangkok (3 nights)
Sukhothai (2nights)
Pai (2 nights)
Chiang Mai (5 nights)
Travel via slow boat (3 nights)
Luang Prabang (4 nights)
Vang Vieng (2 nights)
Vientiane (2 nights)
Overnight bus to hanoi (DOES THIS EXIST?!)
Hanoi (2 nights)
Hue (3 nights)
Hoi An (2nights)
Nha Trang (4 nights)
Saigon (2nights)
Kep (2 nights)
Phnom penh (2nights)
Angkor wat (4nights)
Travel to BKK (2 days travel)
Fly to Surat Thani
Ko Pha Ngan (3 nights)
Ko Tao (3 nights)
BKK. Fly home

Sorry it might look a bit confusing, please let me know any thoughts you have. Thanks so much for your help everyone its much appreciated!x

#1 andrea13 has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 31

Posted by svendj on 2/8/2010 at 17:31

Looks like a pretty organised trip :). still a lot of travelling for 2 months.
I took the overnight bus once from Hanoi to Vientiane (approx 22h) so I think there should be one the other way around as well.
I'd pick a day of from Chiang Mai and add it to Hanoi (as you probably want to go to halong bay as well)

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by andrea13 on 5/8/2010 at 22:27

Thanks for your reply. I've got around 10 "spare" days as well so hopefully I can slow down a bit. Also, I'm doing this trip from July-September. If anyones done the same-ish route at this time of year could you let me know of any problems you encountered? Thankyou

#3 andrea13 has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 31

Posted by busylizzy on 6/8/2010 at 03:44

It all depends on what you are looking for of course, but if it were me I would tend to ...

- cut Hue back to 2 nights, and add an extra night in Hoi An
- consider one less night in Nha Trang. It really isn't that special....
- double-check your plan to get from HCMC to Kep. Not sure how you can do this.... (not saying you can't, just not sure how it will be done unless you go via PP)
- only two nights in PP might not be enough, depending on your plans. One day spent getting there, one day getting from PP to Siem Reap leaves one full day in PP, which presumably will go to S-21 and Killing Fields. Doesn't leave much time for anything else. That may be OK, but just be aware.

In fact, you need to consider that a day is spent travelling between most places, but the time you get to the bus station/airport, wait, travel, wait, get checked in to the next place, etc. 4-hour travel time is NEVER 4 hours! When planning, I like to count up the number of FULL days spent in each place, then consider the sort of activities that you want to do there and be sure you will have enough time to accomplish everything WITHOUT running yourself ragged trying to do it all. I'm a big believer in building in a couple of days R&R time every week or two otherwise you can burn out.

(BTW - I've only reviewed the that places that I have been to as the basis of my comments - ie Vietnam and some parts of Thailand.)

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by andrea13 on 6/8/2010 at 04:19

Thanks very much for your thoughts lizzy. Im considering cutting out Vietnam completely which is ironic really as thats the country I was first attracted to out of all four. Its going to be soo difficult to cut it down!

#5 andrea13 has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 31

Posted by busylizzy on 6/8/2010 at 05:14

Look at it this way: you can always come back to Vietnam for another trip. That means you that you can have a trip dedicated to Vietnam and more importantly it gives you something to look forward to when you come back from the first trip!

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.