Southeast Asia forum

Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip?

• estelle8

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2010

Hi,

Going to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam in mid February 2011 and would like advice on basic order of the trip - not the specifics of sights as I'm pretty sure on those. I've thought of 2 basic orders and can't decide which is best overall. Pretty sure I want to start in Southern Thailand to orientate myself with backpacking (first time lone traveller).

Route 1 - Bangkok > (overland) Thailand: Southern Islands > (fly) Siem Reap & region > (fly) > Vientiane & region > (fly) Hanoi - then do Vietnam North to South > (fly) Bangkok (unless open jaw & fly out of Saigon- not sure yet)pros: it finishes in Saigon which is one of the places I most want to go and it's bustling & exciting - I think I'll want the trip to go out with a bang.
    cons: loads of internal flights; also - if that's where I most want to go I should get there sooner (before my money & time has run out!).

Route 2 - Bangkok > (overland) Thailand: Southern Islands > (fly) Siem Reap & region > (overland) Saigon -then do Vietnam South to North > (fly) Vientiane & region > (fly) Bangkok
    pros: more logical, with far fewer flights- lots of money saved.
    cons: the last bit of the trip is focused on quieter places and is away from good beaches/any beaches, ie Hanoi, Northern Laos. I'll want to be partying, I think!

How important is it, do you think, where you end your trip? Should you save the best 'til last or not risk that in case you run out of time and money? I suppose the 'best' isn't always what you think it's going to be, which is part of the problem....
    Have you found you've wanted to end it on an exciting note or a more relaxed, thoughtful note?
    Thanks for your help......

#1 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 20:29

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would tend to suggest Route 2 - BUT.... personally, I like the idea of finishing up in the Southern Islands of Thailand. After being on the go for awhile, staying in the busier cities, long bus rides etc I like the idea of winding up everything on a beach on an island.

If you want a quiet time, head for Koh Kradan and islands on the lower west coast. If you to party it up, head for Koh Phangan or Koh Tao.

But that's just my personal preference - the island hopping is my reward at the end!

Another suggestion... .fly into Bkk, then make your way east to Koh Chang and/or Koh Muk for a few days. This will give you some island time, and from there, you can go overland to Siem Reap to continue with your Route 2 option (or fly/overland back to BKK then fly from there). It's about a 5 hour bus ride from BKK to Trat, and from there you can catch a boat to Koh Chang.

Koh Chang is a busy-ish island with lots of things to do, including restaurants, bars, etc. They cater for all types of travellers, budget-wise. Then you can save the Southern Thai islands til the end. I did that route (more or less) 2 years ago, and wouldn't have changed anything about my itinerary.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 03:36

• estelle8

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2010

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply! I have considered going to Ko Chang and the other islands near it; I know I'll be really wanting to get to the beach at the start of my trip, especially as I've only been to European beaches thus far.
    I'll think more about it...just wish I could avoid all the flights involved in Route 1!
    Anyway, thank you again : )

#3 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 03:34

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Why don't you just do route 2 and fly to BKK a week sooner before you end and then spend the last week partying on either your favorit island or an island you haven't been to?

From BKK it's easy to go to overland to Ko Samet or Ko Chang or even a domestic flight to the southern islands.

#4 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 10:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
WHAT IS BEST ORDER TO GO TO THESE PLACES IN VIETNAM, CAMBODIA & LAOS IN FIVE WEEK TRIP? ... By dvdwilensky on 1 Dec 2009 3 2923 12 Dec 2009
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos - Order of Travel ... By lizzie501 on 30 Aug 2011 4 3031 3 Sep 2011
What is the best route and best deal from Manila to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 1 2800 16 Feb 2009
What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 10 14500 29 Aug 2010
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 3736 15 Jun 2013
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5661 1 Mar 2011
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 6223 1 Aug 2011
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 10821 28 Apr 2011
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos Advice for 51 day trip ... By Cyn343 on 10 Mar 2014 20 898 14 Mar 2014
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Singapore Trip! ... By hamilove on 12 Dec 2009 0 3842 12 Dec 2009