Southeast Asia forum

Is it feasible??

• joanne1981

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

I'm hoping someone may be able to share their expertise with me. I arrive into Bangkok on the 4th December at 15.30 and I am hoping to catch the overnight train from Bangkok to Vietiane at 20.00.

Has anyone done this before and can anyone advise where I could pre-book our tickets and if it would be possible to catch the train in the time given?

Thanks,
    Joanne

#1 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 20:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

the question isn't can you - you can probably make the train (hit or miss on ticket available I would think). The question is why would you do this to yourself? Unless you're flying in from Hanoi, you've got to be travel weary.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 21:49

• joanne1981

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Hi Madmac

When you ask why would I do this to myself, do you mean it is a bit too much travel in one go? My way of thinking was that we would overnight at Bangkok and travel the next day and because we are on a short travel time for what we want to cover I figured we might as well sleep on the train to save wasting a day?

I've not done this before so I do appreciate your advise.
    Joanne

#3 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 21:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, but I find it difficult to get a good nights sleep on train or bus (especially bus) and after a long plane flight I need a good nights sleep. I think if I were determined to make it to Vientiane same day, I'd book a connecting flight.

Last time I tried to take the train, I could not book a ticket in advance - which turned out to be a problem. Never tried to book from BKK though.

#4 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 22:44

• joanne1981

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

Thanks, I appreciate your advise. I have done overnight trains before and sleep quite well although to be honest, I suffer from jet lag quite badly so I think getting the train straight from the flight would work ok. Does anyone else have any experience of this?

#5 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 04:42

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Last time I took the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai was two winters ago in early December (the 9th). Even then, when the airport had been closed for all that time and there were hardly any tourists around, the train was full the night we left. We got our tickets a day ahead of time and there was room when we booked, but on the day of the trip there wasn't. By the way, I'm talking about 2nd. Class, no a/c, sleeper car. There were lots of seats in 3rd. Class, and a few seats in the restaurant car where the action was.

If you go from the airport straight to the station you might get sleeping berths. But you might want to get your tickets online and avoid the stress and feeling like you've got to rush. Try this site ...

Train Tickets Online

You'll have plenty of time to get from the airport to the station. That won't be a problem.

Good luck.

#6 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 05:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.