Southeast Asia forum

Must see Places

• jnliten

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

Hello all,
    Just wanted to say that this site is amazing with all the helpful information and people. I was planning a trip to SE asia and stumbled on here.
    Been just lurking and reading the different topics and its been pretty helpful for my upcoming trip. I only decided I wanted to do this trip two weeks ago, so I have nothing set in stone yet besides the countries I'm planning to visit and the basic route I'll be taking. I’m planning to land in Bangkok then head north and crossing over and spending a month in northern Laos, then Vietnam from Hanoi to HCMC , then a month in Cambodia then back Bangkok.
    So I was hoping for advice and suggestions on what are the must see places, breathtaking scenary, temples, ruins, beaches, festivals. I’m planning to go in November and spending a month in each country and hopefully make it to HCMC in time for Tet.
    Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 01:55

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi,
    Normally I'd say to check this website better or give some more information so we can help better. But I'll give it a try and it would be interesting to see what other people list.

breathtaking scenery
    - Kao Yai national park (north-eastern Thailand)
    - Sapa (Vietnam)
    - Mai Chau (Vietnam)
    - Halong Bay (Vietnam)
    - Krabi (southern Thailand)
    - Phnom Kulen & Preah Vihear (Cambodia)
    - Boat-trip Hua Xai to Luang Prabang (Thailand-Laos)

Temples
    - Royal palace (Bangkok, Thailand)
    - Royal palace (Phnom Penh, Cambodia)
    - Wat Sisaket (Vientiane, Laos)
    - Angkor (Cambodia)
    - Summer palaces (Hue, Vietnam)
    - chinese pagodas (HCMC, Vietnam)

Historical buildings/towns
    - Luang Prabang (Laos)
    - Old Quarter Hanoi (Vietnam)
    - Hoi An (Vietnam)
    - Chiang Mai (Thailand)

Off the beaten track
    - deep in Mekong delta (Vietnam)
    - Dien Bien Phu (Vietnam)
    - Kep/Kampot (Cambodia)
    - Con Dao islands (Vietnam)
    - 1000 islands (Laos)

I'm not beach person

#2 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 12:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Can't miss scenery:

Soi Cowboy (Bangkok)
    Nana Plaza (Bangkok)
    Patpong (Bangkok
    Pattaya

Temples:

Wat Arun
    Wat Phra Khao
    That Phanom (reportedly the oldest Chedi in Thailand and very well maintained temple, this site gets very few western tourists but a lot of Thai tourists)

Historical Towns:

Nhakon Phanom (visit the Ho Chi Minh house and the old Air America airfield).
    Chiang Mai's old walled city

Off the beaten track: Just about all of Issan.

#3 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 16:32

• jnliten

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

Sweet! Thanks for the list, theres so many places to see and things to do. Just doesn't seem like theres enough time! But it should be fun trying to do all these things.

Its going to be my first time travelling so I'm probably underestimating how tiring the travelling will be, but I'm hoping to see all the major sites and most of the must see places that have been suggested.

#4 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 00:53

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Good luck then.

You'll have a great time. Try to mix it up a little and stay away from the backpacker ghettos and be a little more original. But as a first time traveller it might be good for you to visit some of these backpacker areas to meet up with other backpackers and get the latest info.
    And there is off course nothing wrong with the occasional party but my notion is that most backpackers tend to do exactly the same thing and only meet each other and only locals when ordering food/room/drinks/transport.
    A big trip like that should/could be so much more than that.

Happy travels

#5 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 09:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If you really want an adventure, then take the bus to Ubon, from there take a bus to Khemerat and work you way up the Mekong on the Thai side. You won't see hardly any westerners, the people won't speak much English, and you'll have a really interesting (and safe) experience.

#6 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 11:49

• jnliten

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

eastwest: Yeah I was hoping to not do the typical stuff, but to be honest I'm not sure what to expect during this trip. This is the most exciting thing I've ever done, so I really want to make it memorable and do things I wouldn't normally do.

MADMAC: That sounds really cool, I'm not sure if I could handle such an adventure for my first time travelling. But then again I am looking to step out of my comfort zone and try new things on this trip so I should consider it.

I am super excited about this trip, but I'm not even remotely ready to go lol. I'm trying really hard not to plan out what to do and where to go, cause I usually over plan things and I'm trying to wing it this time with only must see places makred down.

#7 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 22:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, I hope you have a good time, whatever you do. Let me know how it worked out.

#8 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 23:50

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's a good thing you start in Thailand since it is also the easiest to travel. The only danger being that there are far too many backpackers in certain areas.
    I never go to Khao San Road but instead opt to stay in Silom district. It's the business district but has a pleasant untouristic atmosphere, plenty of restaurants, good street food, mostly midrange hotels but even a few cheap options and great access to everything with sky train. Downside for you is that you're unlikely to find many other backpackers.
    Perhaps others have other suggestions. It was the heart of the red shirt protest so you might want to look at the situation before you go.

As Madmac pointed out the northeast of Thailand is beautiful with very friendly people. Certainly not dangerous and well worth a visit. Perhaps on the way back to Bangkok when you're more used to the travel experience.

And there is no shame in doing things that everybody else does. Even if you're too uncertain to go and do the unusual. Just don't pretend to be "the great traveller" as most others pretend to be.
    In the must-see places you will meet plenty of people.

Have a great time.

#9 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 14:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.