Southeast Asia forum

family travelling...BKK- HCM via Hanoi

• spiralism3

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006

Hi there.
    I'm loving the site and finding it very useful, so hope some of you might have ideas opinions and views to help my family and i have The Great Time we already know we'll have...
    We're australians...my brother his partner and two girls 7 & 11. Fying into BKK late November(2 WEEKS:))and 5 weeks later home from Saigon.We want to see as much as possible, while still having time to Chill on some beaches, catch some elephants and visit some temples...
    the plan is as such so far:-

*Arrive bangkok,travelling lightly, so markets and prep...booked hotel for 4 nights(K.T Guesthouse...any opinions?Taxi...?)Here we'll maybe get Visas for Cambodia, vietnam?(5 weeks...too soon for vietnam?research indicates PP better)
    *travel down(not sure how yet, bus taxi?) to Trat and on to Ko Chang or Ko Kut for maybe five days/a week
    *Across the border somewhere close (Battmbang?)aiming at PP....stay a couple
    *North via boat or bus to Seim Reap for a few days we guess
    *Back down to PP(perhaps S R first so as to avoid backtracking...)
    *Fly North to Hanoi for a few days
    *Halong Bay(wow...can't wait!!) a few days here....
    *Train all the way down the coast, stopping maybe a couple of days at Hue, Nha Trang and or Mui Ne for more beach chill
    *Continue on to Ho Chi minh for a few more days before flying home

I've promised the girls Elephant Rides and Floating markets, easy ones to meet ifeel...Theey're also keen on Monkeys but there's concern about Rabies... Injections DO NOT go down well....

Just asking any advice on time frames(are we too ambitious,don't want the girls, or ourselves stressed and grumpy)...places to stay, visa info,Train info... anything.....We're pretty loose people, keen on'holidaying' but also to experience as much as possible.
    We've never done S.E asia before so anything you offer is much appreciated....
    cheers in advance
    spiralism

#1 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 13:08

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi spiralism,

Welcome to Travelfish!

A couple of thoughts:

Cambodian visas are available at most overland crossings along with the embassy in Bangkok, soi if you're hanging out in Vkk for a few days there's no harm in getting the visa beforehand, but if you decide to rush off to the islands, you will be able to get a 30-day visa on arrival at the land crossings. I'd get your Vietnamese visa in Phnom Penh.

What about if you did something like:
    Ko Chang/Kut ->Aranyprathet for the Poipet crossing into Cambodia, then straight to Siem Reap, then boat to Battambang then bus to Phnom Penh? I suggest that just because the Poipet crossing is far busier than the Pailin one (which is closer to Trat and Battambang) -- and it cuts out a little of your backtracking. Take a wander through the trip planner section for more tips in this regard...

If you haven't already, take a look at the 5-part Ha Long Bay series in the features section -- may be helpful in picking the right trip for you.

If you're coming back down through Vietnam by train, be sure to fit in a stop at Hoi An - tis lovely.

Floating markets you'll get in the Mekong Delta south of Saigon - Can Tho is especially good.

Elephants are all over the shop - can ride then to a mountain-top temple in Angkor Wat. Monkeys also are all over the shop, though unfortunately monkeys and rabies mixes well, so as cute as some find them, I'd suggest not encouraging the kids to get tooo close -- rabies aside they can give a nasty bite.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 13:34

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

Has anyone travelled from Battenbang via the border crossing at Pailin to Ko Chang in Thailand? Seems Poipet is more popular and roads better, but we're interested in this crossing further south. Thanks

#3 Posted: 26/1/2007 - 14:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes have done it a few times -- share taxi from Battambang to Pailin, then another (or motorbike taxi) to the border. Cross the border, walk through and you'll see a carpark to your left -- minibuses leave from there to Chanthaburi (100B from memory) -- ask them to drop you at Chanthaburi bus station from where there are regular buses for Trat, then songtheaw to the pier etc.

#4 Posted: 26/1/2007 - 17:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.