Southeast Asia forum

Planning SE Asia trip - help appreciated!

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Hey guys/girls,

Was recommended that I join up here as I've been told its the best source of info regarding Asia.

Myself and my girlfriend are planning to do 3/4 months around SE Asia next June. I know its along way yet, but I like to have my research all in order :)

First off, we are hoping to have €8,000 between the two of us to spend out there. Neither of us have ever been to Asia before so we don't really know what to expect.
    Both of us are well travelled and recently did 3 months in East Africa packpacking as volunteers.

We definitely want to do the Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia route. However, if our funds allow it, would it be possible to get to see a small bit of Malaysia or even Burma?

My main problem is how to go about booking tickets. Would it be recommended to book single flights to and from asia or better of say landing and departing from Bangkok for example?
    I'd hate after three months for still have money left to do us another month and then not been able to as we have our flights home booked! Has anyone else had this to think about while planning?

How long would we be able to live in SE Asia on €8,000 between the two of us? We are not big drinkers and would like to stay in moderate/clean accommodation....nothing filty(as we had enough of that in Africa) :)

I'd like to use this thread to ask any other questions about the trip in the future.

I appreciate any help and info offered.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Would it be recommended to book single flights to and from asia or better of say landing and departing from Bangkok

I'd say book a return flight to Bangkok. Aside from Kuala Lumpur it's pretty much the main air travel hub of the SE Asian region with the most/cheapest flights. If you're worried about the return date just pay a tad more for a flexable 6-mo. return ticket and establish a best-guess return date. I've seen many times (and done) the mistake of booking a one-way only to find that my "spotaneous" attempted return flight is either fully booked or as expensive again as the initial one-way.

You should also probably obtain a Thai tourist visa prior to your departure. Apply at your nearest Thai embassy or consulate. Airline regulations usually require this unless your return flight is within 30 days.

To put expenses in Thai terms, the Euro is currently worth about 40 Thai baht so €8,000 x40 = 320,000b /4months = roughly 2,600b (€66) per day which is a pretty comfortable budget for a travelling couple. Southern Thai beach bungalows can be pricey, as in 2000b+ for a concrete & glass unit, so just go frugal down there (wooden beach huts) then relax more in northern Thailand, Laos, etc. where something like 10 Euro gets you a pretty decent standard of accommodation (€20 is luxury).

Budget around €5/day for meals, maybe €2 for a couple drinks, and around €5-15 for major bus/train rides (2nd class sleeper train Bangkok to Chiang Mai is about €15 for example). Local daytrips (your elephant ride bamboo rafting hilltribe visit) run around €20/person but you won't be doing that every day. Daily rent of a small motorbike/scooter usually about €5-6. Costs are fairly consistent around the region, but again accommodation can be pricier on the southern beach hotspots as well as major cities (Bangkok, KL, HCMC, even Vientiane).

#2 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 15:48

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Well said by captain_bob!

It is indeed easier if you have a thai visa in advance if you book a one way flight. though you don't really have to as you get a free 30 day visa on arrival by plane, but some airlines don't want you to book a one way flight if you don't have a visa (it was fine for me with: air berlin, etihad, swiss air and royal jordanian. Qatar airways should be fine to for a one way without visa).

8000 € for 4 months is more then enough. that's a 1000 a month each and that's what I normally plan to bring on my trips and I do like to party hard sometimes, so that's just fine!

#3 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 16:05

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Thanks for the replies guys. Very useful info which I will incorporate into our plans. By the way, how would I go about finding out about the flexable airline tickets?

I'm from Ireland.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 04:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning 2 week backpacking trip - Advice appreciated ... By casey_r19 on 27 Mar 2013 27 5778 11 Apr 2013
Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated! ... By Jacster on 12 Aug 2006 12 2888 17 Aug 2006
6 month SE Asia Trip-info appreciated! ... By chicoelnino on 2 Jan 2011 3 4170 6 Jan 2011
2 months in SÊ-Asia - feedback on trip details much appreciated! ... By Seba on 30 Sep 2009 8 2585 2 Oct 2009
Trip planning from NY to SE Asia ... By esmith5112 on 20 Jul 2011 4 2663 22 Jul 2011
Communicating In SE Asia/ Planning a trip for a newbie! ... By suzienichols on 5 Sep 2010 7 2191 7 Sep 2010
Planning a trip to South East Asia...Would like advise on things to do and see ... By thatscottishlad on 4 Nov 2013 5 1433 6 Nov 2013