Southeast Asia forum

60 days, four countries itinerary

• travelman57

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010
    Location Spain

Hello

I have made a copy of the proposed itineray “Four countries” (“Before you leave” pull-down menu). I’m going to do this in 55-60 days (November - December). Here you will read 57 days. Please could you advise me about any change suggested about the days asssigned at each place. Thanks in advance

(5) Bangkok
    (1) Ayutthaya
    (2) Sukhotai
    (4) Chiang Mai
    (0) Chiang Khong

(1) Huay Xai
    (1) Pakbeng
    (3) Luang Prabang
    (1) Vang Vieng
    (2) Vientiane
    (2) Tha Khaek
    (1) Savannakhet
    (1) Pakse
    (2) Champasak
    (3) 4000 Islands - Don Khong, Don Dhet & Don Khon

(2) Kratie
    (2) Phnom Penh
    (3) Siem Reap
    (1) Battambang
    (1) Phnom Penh

(3) Saigon
    (1) Mui Ne
    (1) Nha Trang
    (1) Overnight train Nha Trang to Hoi An
    (2) Hoi An
    (2) Hue
    (1) Overnight train Hue to Hanoi .
    (1) Hanoi
    (3) Ha Long Bay - Hanoi
    (1) Overnight train Hanoi to Sapa .
    (1) Sapa
    (2) HANOI

#1 Posted: 18/9/2010 - 13:50

• Advertisement

• travelman57

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010
    Location Spain

Hello

Please any comment!!!
    I have made a copy of the proposed itineray “Four countries” (“Before you leave” pull-down menu). I’m going to do this in 55-60 days (November - December). Here you will read 57 days. Please could you advise me about any change suggested about the days asssigned at each place. Thanks in advance

(5) Bangkok
    (1) Ayutthaya
    (2) Sukhotai
    (4) Chiang Mai
    (0) Chiang Khong

(1) Huay Xai
    (1) Pakbeng
    (3) Luang Prabang
    (1) Vang Vieng
    (2) Vientiane
    (2) Tha Khaek
    (1) Savannakhet
    (1) Pakse
    (2) Champasak
    (3) 4000 Islands – Don Khon g – Don Dhet – Don Khon

(2) Kratie
    (2) Phon Penh
    (3) Siem Reap
    (1) Battambang
    (1) Phnom Penh

(3) Saigon
    (1) Mui Ne
    (1) Nha Trang
    (1) Overnight train Nha Trang to Hoi An
    (2) Hoy An
    (2) Hue
    (1) Overnight train Hue to Hanoi .
    (1) Hanoi
    (3) Ha Long Bay - Hanoi
    (1) Overnight train Hanoi to Sapa .
    (1) Sapa
    (2) Hanoi

#2 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 21:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Travelman,

How long you stay in each place is going to depend entirely on whether you like the place or not, what you want to see, etc. You might hate Bangkok and head out after 2 or 3 days, which would change your schedule. You may want to stick around Siem Reap for more than 3 days to see more of the temples, which would change your schedule again.

Also, you're just going from major centre to major centre. There is so much in between some of these places. Perhaps you might consider just letting your trip create itself rather than go with a pre-determined itinerary? Just a suggestion.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 22:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

this itinerary is technically feasible, but you will pretty much be on the move all the time, spending a good half of your time getting from place to place. sometimes if i am travelling by myself i don't mind that so much, but i still think you've got too many stops in too short a time to have fun on this trip.

do any of these countries appeal to you more than the others? would you be bummed to cut out the vietnam or cambodia portions, for example, to free up more time elsewhere?

on specifics, i'd recommend doing either ayutthaya or sukhothai, but not both. i love both mind you, but with only 57 days to spend, they are similar enough to not merit seeing them both.

unless you are particularly keen to do the river trip to luang prabang, consider flying from chiang mai to luang prabang to save time.

two days in thakhek (laos) and two days in kratie (cambodia)? do you have specific things in mind? also, two days in champassak (laos) will be very relaxing, and enough to enjoy a side trip to wat phu and some serious hammock time gazing at the river. but take a book or two, as there isn't much else to do besides eat and sleep there.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 01:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you start in indonesia, and don't make so many stops in each country, you should be able to squeeze in Indonesia, Malaysia, Burma and China... That would be eight countries!

However, if you want to actually enjoy yourself, the start in Bangkok, stay until you don't feel like it anymore, and then head to the next nearest place on the list. Keep doing this until you run out of time and have to go home.

#5 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 17:13

• travelman57

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010
    Location Spain

Thank you for your comments. I'll take 15 more days for do the travel more comfortably... and will reduce my stay in Thakhek, Kratie and Champassak. Perhaps i'll add some of those days for Kanchanaburi, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 20:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.