Southeast Asia forum

Biggest culture shock areas in Vietnam and Laos

• johnkitchen-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Biggest culture shock areas in Vietnam and Laos
    Hey,
    My girlfirend and I are travelling for 1 month through Vietnam and Loas. We want to base our trip on culture, natural landscapes and adventure. Does anyone recommend anywhere where culture is bursting from the seams or anywhere else that might take our fancy?
    Cheers,

John Kitchener

#1 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 15:15

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

honestly I don't know what that means - culture bursting at the seams. But I would guess you mean places that are VERY removed from western influence. Cultures are not stagnant, not ours and not theirs either, and western influence is very pervasive in many places. The more rural you get, the less that is true. But, of course, the more rugged you live and, frankly, the more boring things tend to be.

I have always said that language is culture, and I believe that. To understand why certain peoples behave the way they do requires a lot of verbal interaction. So if you really want to understand a culture, then you have to start working on the language. You don't have time for that, and certainly not if you are going to two countries - that's two weeks each, which is enough to absorb no culture in either. Some people would say that eating local food and visiting some more interesting architectural and natural sites as culture - I view culture as more behavioral, but if that is truly where you interest lies, then there are the obvious choices of places like Luang Prabang, Vientiane, perhaps Tha Khek... Halong Bay, Hanoi, Hue...

Was there a reason you chose Vietnam and Laos vice, say Thailand or Cambodia?

#2 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 17:08

• johnkitchen-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

hey madmac
    cheers for the info. Well ill be cycling cambodia for a month beforehand and touring Vietnam a bit before that aswell so most of the month i was referring to will be spent in Laos but possibly a week and a bit in Vietnam again. So Cambodia was my first choice and i guess i needed to lose a country and i chose Thailand because it seemed more commercial, although im sure it would be amazing aswell.
    have u or anyone else been to Luang Nam Tha? it seems a great place for trekking and different cultures?

#3 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 20:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The guys to ask about Laos are Rufus and Somsai. I would post questions about that place to them in the Laos section which they check reasonably often. I live in Thailand and am not a huge fan of Laos, although to be fair I haven't spent a lot of time there and my exposure was in a narrow range.

As for Thailand, it is a VERY varied place. It has areas that are VERY commercial and areas that are very rural and simple and pretty much everything in between. I like Thailand and Thai people, and I like modernity as well - I am not a naturalist or anything approaching it. So commercial works OK for me. But where my in-laws live there isn't much of it (but they do have power and running water all the time, or most of the time, and phone service now as well) and I find the place incredibly boring after a day or so. I've always found it interesting how some people here will wax eloquent about some dusty place in Laos with no regular electricity, no nightlife, no consistent hot water... and not much protection from the elements (elements I am particularly averse to are scorpions, centipedes, dengue carrying mosquitos and lethal snakes).

But yeah, I would recommend those two guys for Laos. They know what they're talking about reference that place.

#4 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 21:41

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Madmac, you're right about the boring bit! I sort of like boring at times so can endure or enjoy those times. And right about the language, my OK grasp of Japanese helps a huge amount when I go there.

When I see overseas visitors travelling where I live I often wonder what they find so interesting. Next to nothing happens here but I guess for them it is 'exotic' in some way and they can enjoy it for their short visit. So is it the same when we go to some 'exotic' destination? Totally different to what we are used to but for the locals it is just another day of many many days.
    I have found the best cultural experiences are ones I stumbled across by chance. They are small, local events and not written up in any guidebook. One unique experience can make a whole trip worthwhile.

#5 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 06:12

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Is your name really Kitchener, or are you from Kitchener, Ontario, or both?

#6 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 07:22

• johnkitchen-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

hahah yeah its Kitchener. Im from Woy Woy near Sydney, Australia. Come visit!
    Cheers for the advice everyone!

#7 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 10:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Not related to Lord Kitchener by chance are you?

#8 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 10:52

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Woy Woy. My mum lives in Umina. I once lived in Copacabana (Central Coast)!

#9 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 11:13

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd recommend heading up to NW Vietnam - some of the most amazing scenery I've seen and hardly another Westerner in sight. Apart from in Sapa and Lao Cai of course, but they have their charms too. Travelling around there is pretty tough at times but the rewards are worth it.

#10 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 12:39

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd recommend heading up to NW Vietnam - some of the most amazing scenery I've seen and hardly another Westerner in sight. Apart from in Sapa and Lao Cai of course, but they have their charms too. Travelling around there is pretty tough at times but the rewards are worth it.

#11 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 12:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Reverse Culture Shock ... By sahand1010 on 28 Mar 2007 1 3454 14 Apr 2008