Southeast Asia forum

do I need a power converter?

• StreetSpiri-
    t13

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2010

I am going to be traveling alone through SE Asia for 6 weeks starting Nov 1st. In my day to day life, I have my iPod on me all the time. It's just nice to have when on the bus or running errands around town. I think it would also be nice when traveling to have music on long travel days, but I was wondering if I should just leave it at home, as I don't want it lost or stolen.
    If I were to bring it, I would also need a converter to charge it, and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. Also, I am bringing a camera that runs on AA batteries. Does anyone have advice as to whether I should bring rechargeable batteries and a charger (with converter) or just buy disposable batteries?

#1 Posted: 25/9/2010 - 12:28

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The whole electric compatability question is usually answered by turning your device (iPod/camera/etc) and/or its charger upsidedown and looking for acceptable inputs written on it. Most modern toys accept universal 100-240 volt power. Then just whack it in the nearest power socket and it works. I've had 100% success rate so far in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 01:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

same advice here too. most of my electronics, particularly those that come with a converter on the power cord, like my laptop computer power cord and my cell phone charger cord, accept from 100-240v and 50 or 60 hertz just like captain bob said. odds are yours will too, but it is smart to check.

as for the camera, unless you are really running the power through it all day long, i'd think high-quality AA batteries should do the trick. i took upwards of 400 pictures on my last 8-week trip to southeast Asia, and only needed to change the AA batteries i used in my camera one time. good quality AA batteries are relatively inexpensive and easy to find in places like Thailand. just be sure you buy them from a place that turns over their supply regularly, like a 7-11 or something, and not from some mom & pop shop on a dusty road in the middle of nowhere, where the batteries may have been sitting there for months or even years.

nearly all of the electrical outlets i've used in thailand have a universal design that allows you to plug in, but if you need one, it shouldn't be hard to pick up an electrical outlet adapter once you arrive. cheers.

#3 Posted: 26/9/2010 - 05:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

As long as your thingy accepts 100-240v all you might need is a cheap plug adaptor

like this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/3746146331_e920d69d2f_o.jpg

Available for about $1 all over the place, accepts US/UK/EU plugs.

#4 Posted: 6/10/2010 - 04:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.