Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia rough itinerary

• aimbat19

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2010

Hi, im planning a 2 month trip to SE Asia and just looking to get a few pointers.

Gerneral Plan: Bangkok-> northern thailand -> laos -> cambodia -> southern thailand -> malaysia
    question 1: does this seem to be the best route for this kind of intin.?

Time distribution: 2 weeks northern thai, 2 weeks laos, 1 week cambodia, 2 weeks southern thai, week malaysia

question 2: even though this is a very rough time scale, im curious whats the best way to travel around these places? I know transportation can be tricky in these parts, and im not one to want to spend my whole time trying to cram cities in and end up spending the majority of my time on a packed bus. So whats the general feel for getting around flights? ( and if so how reasonable to buy on the spot rather then planning way ahead and having exact dates to meet) trains, buses? long winded question sorry =]

question 3: just a random thing ive been pondering for a while, on my last backpacking trip i had a travel partner so i didn't have to deal with this problem but.... When travelling and you plan on swimming what do you do with for visas/money important documents you don't want to leave in your pack etc?

-thanks in advance, Jim.

#1 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 09:02

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

hi,

1. I don't think a "best" route exists. Its very subjective. Your route is very common and perfectly fine. You can see the highlights and have a little space to be flexible and/or visit some lesser known places.

2. For the route you describe I would include 1 or 2 flights. Buses and roads in Thailand are a lot better than in Cambodia or Laos so bustrips there are not a real punishment.
    - Most important one is from Laos to Cambodia. Vientiane to Siem Reap (or Phnom Penh) is very useful for an itinerary like yours. This will save you 3 continuous busdays.
    - Other could be Chang Mai to Luang Prabang (I actually don't know if such a flight exists) but I actually like that route with the boat over the Mekong. A flight would save you a lot of time though
    - Cambodia to Southern Thailand. This will also take you some time overland but it's not bad. You could fly a part (PP or SR - Bangkok or Bangkok - Phuket) and do part by bus train. Or you could go slowly along the coast and stop at some places along the way. This will shave time off from your time in either southern Thailand or Cambodia

booking flights at last moment depends heavily on the season you're travelling

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 19:39

• aimbat19

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2010

thanks for the response extremely helpful :)

In terms of the season unfortunately i have to travel during the summer, most likely june 15th-August 18th would be my rough guess this is not exact but pretty close.

Still my main concern at the moment is how likely it is to get flights on the spot during this time, im really just trying to be flexible this trip so if im enjoying a specific place i can spend a few extra days without having a deadline to meet. Of course i don't wanna be overpaying a ton due to this convience though i know its a tightrope just wondering if some members have any advice on this.

thanks in advance, Jim.

#3 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 05:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Aim
    I have travelled via air probably about half a dozen times (I usually bus it for money reasons) from BKK to Ubon Rathathani and from both Ubon, Udon and Khon Kaen to BKK. I've never booked in advance, and never had trouble getting a flight. Of course, we're talking a pretty small sample size here...

#4 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 11:54

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Jim,

That is not the easiest season to do last minute bookings. The Laos to Cambodia flight will probably be difficult since in that season there will be package tourists looking for the same flights and most of them pre booked. Luang Prabang to Siem Reap is very common on a standard 2 week highlight package itinerary.
    If I were you I would pre-book the Vientiane to Siem Reap flight since this is an important one and the alternatives are not that great for someone with a tight schedule. If by any chance you could not be on this flight last minute you'd have to take 2-3 days out of your itin to spend full time on the bus over not so good roads which would in turn leave less flexibillity at the end of your itinerary.
    It's a difficult choice and something can be said for both options.

For other flights you're probably fine as Mac points out and you'll also have decent alternatives if flights might be full. But keep in mind that the area he's flown out from (north eastern thailand) is not really on the (package)tourist trail. Could be an alternative though to look at north eastern thailand. Timewise it will not save you much though. North eastern thailand to BKK can easily be done by bus.

#5 Posted: 6/10/2010 - 09:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"North eastern thailand to BKK can easily be done by bus."

It can, but if you're traveling out to where I am (Mukdahan) it's a shitty ass bus ride. I despise it.

#6 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 11:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
rough itinerary ... By ricardo4 on 27 Sep 2013 6 1336 30 Sep 2013
Very rough / initial plans for 6 months in SE asia ... By bd7391 on 15 Oct 2012 7 1685 9 Nov 2012
1 month rough itinerary, what am I missing? ... By whardy on 10 Feb 2012 3 1477 11 Feb 2012