Southeast Asia forum

48 days in SE Asia Oct- Dec?

• darcon

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hi all,
    My partner and I are flying into Ho Chi Minh start of next week and intend on travelling around until our departure date of the 14th of December from Singapore. I understand that it will be a full on trip as we want to squeeze in as much as possible! So far we are thinking of:
    HCM to Hanoi with a stopover in Hue for a couple of nights. Then travel into Laos for just a couple of days to Luang Prabang to meet a friend. Then hopefully fly into either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh and visit the temples and spend a couple of days in the capital (not sure where to go first, depends on the price of flights etc). From Cambodia we want to go to Chiang Mai and then down to the Islands for probably a week or so just to relax. From there into Malaysia and depending on how much time we have left visit and few places before making our way to Singapore.
    Now...my questions are:
    1: What would you reckon the budget will be from previous experience? We are very willing to rough it!
    2: Is it best to go by air between the countries as I understand that we dont have much time to be getting overnight buses or trains etc? Which are the best airlines to use for the different countries as I have notices that there can be a huge difference. Or is there anywhere that we are visiting that is very easy to cross the border but not using too much time?
    3: I want to get a tattoo along the way somewhere and I am wondering if you have any advice on where is best to get one?
    4: We have our visa paid for for Viet Nam, is this the only country which we need to sort it in advance?
    5: Is there anything/anywhere that you would recommend that we could squeeze in as we have few days at the end to use as we are not too pushed to spend long in Singapore? Recommendation on places to stay etc especially for Ho Chi Minh as we would like to have something booked as we arrive in very late at night!
    I really appreciate your help as this trip was only just booked as a surprise! I have been reading as much as possible but saw this site really helps! Any advice will be great!
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 06:09

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.