Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice

• samwise90

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Hi all!
    I'm heading to south east asia for 4 weeks (mid jan - mid feb 2011) and need some help narrowing down places to spend the most time.
    I've booked flights already, in and out of Kuala Lumpur.
    I want to see as much as possible, but am well aware that 4 weeks is very little time to explore south east asia...
    I'm flexible with which countries i'll visit... but its out of malaysia, thailand, vietnam, laos & cambodia... first three would probably be top priority...
    I'm mainly interested in food, markets, natural landscapes (inland & coastal), with a bit of adventure.
    I don't want to spend time in big city centres, not interested in party nightlife apart from a few cold beers, and will try to avoid tacky touristy areas.
    Budget-wise - cheap is good but i can afford a few flights.

Basically i know i cant go everywhere, so i'm hoping my interests can point me to a few main places which contain a balance of what i'd like to experience!

Any advice & opinions on places to focus on would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Samantha (Australia)

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 21:30

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Such an open-ended question is not that easy since you really have to pick your regions.

I will give you 1 suggestion and hopefully for you others will jump in with theirs. Mine is by no means the perfect one but since I am a food and market enthusiast as well this is what I would do.

I have no good recent knowledge about Malaysia or southern Thailand but I assume you could do some of that region in your first two weeks.

From there starting in Bangkok you could do in your last two weeks:
    - few days North eastern Thailand around Khao Yai national Park. No need to go into the park (timewise I mean) but the scenery around there is beautiful. Also the towns are pleasant and have nice little local markets. Food is also good there (as everywhere in Thailand)

- then Siem Reap /Angkor in Cambodia for a few days for a dose of culture and admire the temples. Most restaurants in Siem Reap cater for tourists but you might have a craving for some western food by then and there's also plenty of Khmer food to be tried. Although tasty, the Cambodian food doesn't match Thai or Vietnamese food in uniqueness.

- last week start to travel down to Kep (via Phnom Penh) in 2-3 days and spend 1 relaxing day by the coast and eat some fresh crab & kampot pepper at one of the restaurants there.

- last weekdays cross the border via Ha Tien and travel through the Mekong Delta towards HCMC. Mekong Delta has some great real (floating)markets, fruit & rice farms and great river scenery.

- last day in HCMC you can try some truly great Vietnamese food and then fly out to KL

You can't see all and this will give you a taste (literally) of the region. Leave northern Thailand, Laos and rest of Vietnam for another visit. But others will disagree and might have a bettter plan.
    With an itinerary like this your travel times/days are manageable and no need for a lot of flights

#2 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 20:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
itinerary advice - First time with kids, 5,7,9 years. SE Asian destinations? ... By quennoo on 4 Jan 2012 8 2799 8 Sep 2012
Itinerary advice-6 weeks in SEA ... By stardar on 30 Nov 2009 0 3328 30 Nov 2009
Could you please give me some advice on my Lao itinerary (3 weeks) ... By DrNugu on 11 Jul 2014 2 549 28 Jul 2014
2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please ... By slordan on 2 Sep 2010 5 7090 11 Sep 2010
3 weeks in burma - Itinerary advice ... By Dimamah on 9 Jun 2012 5 4685 10 Jun 2012
itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Thailand ... By jendo on 10 Oct 2009 13 10188 15 Oct 2009
3 Weeks in the Philippines - Itinerary Advice ... By StephJayne165 on 10 Sep 2013 3 4406 12 Sep 2013
5 Weeks in SE Asia with a 4 yr old - advice/thoughts on itinerary please! ... By ZPeppiatt on 12 Apr 2010 9 3565 24 Apr 2010
3 weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia- itinerary advice! ... By junebug on 12 Sep 2012 4 3533 20 Sep 2012
itinerary advice for 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand ... By jztravels on 22 Feb 2010 4 4515 24 Mar 2010