Southeast Asia forum
4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice
19th October, 2010
I'm heading to south east asia for 4 weeks (mid jan - mid feb 2011) and need some help narrowing down places to spend the most time.
I've booked flights already, in and out of Kuala Lumpur.
I want to see as much as possible, but am well aware that 4 weeks is very little time to explore south east asia...
I'm flexible with which countries i'll visit... but its out of malaysia, thailand, vietnam, laos & cambodia... first three would probably be top priority...
I'm mainly interested in food, markets, natural landscapes (inland & coastal), with a bit of adventure.
I don't want to spend time in big city centres, not interested in party nightlife apart from a few cold beers, and will try to avoid tacky touristy areas.
Budget-wise - cheap is good but i can afford a few flights.
Basically i know i cant go everywhere, so i'm hoping my interests can point me to a few main places which contain a balance of what i'd like to experience!
Any advice & opinions on places to focus on would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! Samantha (Australia)
#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 21:30
17th December, 2009
Such an open-ended question is not that easy since you really have to pick your regions.
I will give you 1 suggestion and hopefully for you others will jump in with theirs. Mine is by no means the perfect one but since I am a food and market enthusiast as well this is what I would do.
I have no good recent knowledge about Malaysia or southern Thailand but I assume you could do some of that region in your first two weeks.
From there starting in Bangkok you could do in your last two weeks:
- few days North eastern Thailand around Khao Yai national Park. No need to go into the park (timewise I mean) but the scenery around there is beautiful. Also the towns are pleasant and have nice little local markets. Food is also good there (as everywhere in Thailand)
- then Siem Reap /Angkor in Cambodia for a few days for a dose of culture and admire the temples. Most restaurants in Siem Reap cater for tourists but you might have a craving for some western food by then and there's also plenty of Khmer food to be tried. Although tasty, the Cambodian food doesn't match Thai or Vietnamese food in uniqueness.
- last week start to travel down to Kep (via Phnom Penh) in 2-3 days and spend 1 relaxing day by the coast and eat some fresh crab & kampot pepper at one of the restaurants there.
- last weekdays cross the border via Ha Tien and travel through the Mekong Delta towards HCMC. Mekong Delta has some great real (floating)markets, fruit & rice farms and great river scenery.
- last day in HCMC you can try some truly great Vietnamese food and then fly out to KL
You can't see all and this will give you a taste (literally) of the region. Leave northern Thailand, Laos and rest of Vietnam for another visit. But others will disagree and might have a bettter plan.
With an itinerary like this your travel times/days are manageable and no need for a lot of flights
#2 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 20:23
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|itinerary advice - First time with kids, 5,7,9 years. SE Asian destinations? ...||8||2799||8 Sep 2012|
|Itinerary advice-6 weeks in SEA ...||0||3328||30 Nov 2009|
|Could you please give me some advice on my Lao itinerary (3 weeks) ...||2||549||28 Jul 2014|
|2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please ...||5||7090||11 Sep 2010|
|3 weeks in burma - Itinerary advice ...||5||4685||10 Jun 2012|
|itinerary advice for 3 weeks in Thailand ...||13||10188||15 Oct 2009|
|3 Weeks in the Philippines - Itinerary Advice ...||3||4406||12 Sep 2013|
|5 Weeks in SE Asia with a 4 yr old - advice/thoughts on itinerary please! ...||9||3565||24 Apr 2010|
|3 weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia- itinerary advice! ...||4||3533||20 Sep 2012|
|itinerary advice for 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand ...||4||4515||24 Mar 2010|