Southeast Asia forum

Quick Pre Planning Questions

• olibigoli

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

Hi All,

I am just starting to plan 16 Weeks "Flashpacking" in SEA from FEB-MAY (Inc)

Stat of Feb arrive Bangkok
    4 Weeks Thailand Heading north (FEB)
    2 Weeks Laos (MAR)
    4 Weeks Vietnam heading south (MAR/APR)
    2 Weeks Cambodia (APR)
    3 Weeks Malasia (MAY)
    1 Week Singapore (MAY)
    1 Week Bali (MAY)

(This is a very flexible itinery)

Is there any major flaws in the basic outline?
    Am i heading in the right direction?
    Am i doing the right counties at the right time to get OK weather?
    Will i need to pre book any accomodation or flighs or will it be easy when there?

Basically I just want some confidence in the Time of year and the Order I see countries before i start my more detailed planning.

Any help would be awesome!!

#1 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 12:54

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Is this all overland (apart from Bali)?
    If you included one flight (from Cambodia to Malaysia) it might be more useful to do Thailand, Laos (all the way to the south), Cambodia, Vietnam (ending in Hanoi) and then fly to Malaysia.

Saves you a little backtracking within Laos. If you're not so interested in southern Laos it looks fine though.

1 week Singapore? It's expensive and really not that much to do. One or two days is enough for me personally. But perhaps you want to check out the new Sentosa which looks cool.
    For fine beachlife I would lessen Singapore and add a little to Bali.

#2 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 13:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Overall purpose of trip helps. Likes and don't likes. Interests as well. Some people just want to travel around for the sake of traveling around, and that's OK if that's what you want to do. If you want exposure to other cultures - a repeated theme here on travel fish - then I would recommended reduction of countries visited to two (Thailand and Laos). That's because if you really want to appreciate culture, you have to learn language, and that takes time and is difficult. Thailand and Laos are linguistically closely related, making this challenge a bit easier. But perhaps you are just interested in cuisine and temples and some local sites... that's fine too. Good advice is easier to provide if desired intent is clear though.

#3 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 13:57

• olibigoli

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

Cool thanks for your help,

I can afford a couple of flights and do like the idea of flying back to malasia so i dont have to re-enter thailand for only a couple of days.

I am definately keen to just pass through singapore for 2 days and possible fly to Bali from there after reading through A LOT of forum posts.

I basicaly want to do all the "touristy" things, temples, cuisine, beaches, sneak a couple of dives in, but i dont want to set too much in stone, if i fall in love with a place i could stay there for the whole 16 weeks!!! I dont mind going off the beaten track also!
    I am not to worried about all the partying scenes as i know i can do that in the Cities.

#4 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 16:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Then I agree with Eastwest. Going into Laos, I would go to the big draws there, then head south to Tha Khek, Savanakhet and Paxse, on to 4,000 Islands and from there into Cambodia. Once you've explored Cambodia then I would head on to Vietnam and go south to North and then fly out from Hanoi.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 17:47

• olibigoli

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

Awesome, thanks for the help. I think i just needed some reasuring that i havent created some outragously stupid itenery or overlooked something obvous...Time to start the planning.

#6 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 12:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree with the others... 2-3 days in Singapore max and add the time to Bali. I would almost suggesting adding another week or two to Bali if you can as there is lots to see there... and the Gili islands and Lombok are only a short(ish) boat ride away... :-)

#7 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 16:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning stage - please help with a few questions ... By joanne1981 on 10 Dec 2009 2 1696 28 Feb 2010
Planning a trip to SEA and have some questions ... By Solius on 8 Mar 2013 10 1543 21 Mar 2013