Southeast Asia forum

Insect repellant

• dazedandcon-
    fused

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

We are getting ready to leave for our journey around S.E Asia and wonder if insect repellant containing Deet is widely available to purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 17:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yep, but if you don't wear shorts you shouldn't generally need it.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 18:46

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I always take my own just in case I can't find it when I need it. Having said that, I can only think of a handful of times when I've actually used it.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 21:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

We usually wait to buy our bug juice at the place we are going, largely because I had a bottle explode in my luggage on the airplane once but also because we've had good luck with cheap and effective stuff in country.

You'll easily find insect spray in most 7-11 stores and in pretty much every pharmacy/chemist in the region. We've had very good results with some of the herbal-based sprays (as opposed to DEET) that we've purchased in Thailand. You'll find them at the same places mentioned above. They are usually in a green bottle.

Like the others mentioned too, cover up, particularly at dawn and dusk, and you won't need to use much of the stuff anyway. Hope that helps. Regards.

#4 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 22:28

• dazedandcon-
    fused

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010

Thanks you all for your advice. As it will be our first time in SE Asia I think we shall buy some repellants before we leave home then top up as we go.

#5 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 23:44

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    I don't wear shorts but those little SOBs love my feet so that's where I put a lot of DEET.
    I don't care how bad it is for me, I prefer it to getting bitten

#6 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 01:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sayadian
    They bite through your shoes? Jesus, where is it you're hanging out, because I ain't going there!

#7 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 07:44

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

sayadian.... I'm with you on this one. :)
    madmac.....He probably wears sandals like me.
    Where do you think the worst place to be bitten is? Other than the obvious of course. Mine's the armpit. Drives me crazy.

#8 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 17:55

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    Why is it I immediately thought of that old Frank Zappa track 'stinkfoot' when you mentioned shoes.Shoes in the tropics! I just wear those open sandals all of the time, so used to them now I can walk miles in them; and they are so easy to slip off when you are visiting someone's house.The only downside the mozzies love'em.

#9 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 22:41

• mitchelj00

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Hi all,

As it will be our first time in SE Asia I think we shall buy some repellants before we leave home then top up as we go. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kanyakumari tour packages | Kanyakumari tourist spots | Kanyakumari tours and travels

#10 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 12:15

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"The only downside the mozzies love'em."

Centipedes and Scorpions can and do bite over those things if you step on one. Happened to a friend of mine. No thanks.

The other downside? If you ride a chopper, open toed footwear is a very bad idea. I ride mine every day.

I don't even own open toed footwear. I most certainly would NEVER wear it. The same reason I would NEVER wear shorts. Sandals protect the feet poorly and shorts protect the legs poorly.

#11 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 21:44

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well, 'when in Rome..' and all that.Most of the locals spend their lives in sandals.Though I totally agree with you about shorts.
    I try not to look for trouble with centipedes and the like.Years ago, I moved into a house and in one room I found a giant millipede.Took the yard brush to it but not only did it stick its ground but it also fancied its chances.A scarey fight, but the broom came out on top in the end.I hear that those things can send you to hospital.
    This was in Malaysia,I don't know whether they have them in Thailand,I hope not.

#12 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 01:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

They have them.

And my thought process is, when in Rome, conquor the Romans. Although truth be told, a lot of Thais wear shoes. Poor Thais often don't, because flip flops are cheap and economics is a factor. Right now especially, it's cold out, so shoes are what most people who can afford them wear. But for me, it's always shoes because of the reasons cited above. The "Romans" are also driving their motorcycles with sandals, no helmuts, etc. Doesn't make it a good idea though.

#13 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 16:13

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

lol. I liked the relevance of romans

#14 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 20:53

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

MM....conquor the Romans....loved it..lol
    I started wearing the sandals about 3 years ago. Don't wear anything else now. Shorts, I don't think I look very good in. I ride my bike a lot also. When you're blasting down the road about 100, if you wreck, it's going to hurt now matter what you have on.

#15 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 08:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Neosho
    But when your back tire kicks out on a curve, and you want to right the bike, I would submit that doing so in Sandals is probably going to suck.
    Of course, I have takent to copying the Romans on occassion - and helmets when on late night forays to dine or drink are forgone. Not smart, but convenient.

#16 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 11:32

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

sandals can get you in mudholes

#17 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 23:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.