Southeast Asia forum

Independent travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

• JoeMurray

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all,

From the 3rd of July - 23rd of July next year I'll be travelling (as the title suggests) from, Siem Reap, Camodia to, Hanoi, Vietnam, and was just looking for any general travel advice (or specific routes) on any MUST see's along the way or what to definitely avoid, as an 18 year old, and a first time traveller to Asia alone, I want to see as much as I can along the way.
    Also, is it worth really planning ahead and booking a structured itinerary in the form of hostels/hotels or is it feasible to just 'pay as you go' as I've been told it is likely I'll be ripped off and end up spending far more if doing the latter!

Any tips/info/links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

#1 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi Joe!

These are the fist places that pop into my head along that itinerary (East out of Cambodia and North through Vietnam). The ones marked * are the spots I would definitely not miss on your trip. Super-impressive spots are marked **:

Siem Reap**
    Sihanoukville
    Phnom Penh*
    Mekong delta into Vietnam*
    Phu Quoc (from hearsay)
    HCMC
    Nha Trang
    Dalat
    Hoi An **
    Hue*
    Hanoi**
    Halong Bay**
    Sapa*

There are plenty of less mainstream places I have not mentioned but hopefully this is a starting point.

My tips would be: don't rush it, spend at least 4/5 days in each place if you can. And leave with an empty suitcase: Hoi An in particular has some incredible tailors.

When I was traveling I looked up hostels/hotels on Travelfish the night before arriving at a destination. It worked a treat. I wouldn't commit to a booking without good reason, and I can't think of any.

Have fun!

FSH

#2 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 02:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Joe - FSH has given you some great ideas above (especially about not rushing it!) - but that's a massive amount to cover in 3 weeks.

I would tend to suggest 6 days in Cambodia (at least 3 in Siem Reap), and the rest of the time in Vietnam. BUT.. in Vietnam either plan on picking out the highlights (and either flying or expect long overnight busrides between each place) - OR concentrate in, say the Central/Southern area.

'Must see' places that I would suggest are:

1. Siem Reap
    2. PP
    3. Hoi An

... and as options:

4. Do boat trip from PP to Chau Doc, then spend some time travelling through Mekong Delta through to HCMC, 2-4 days in HCMC then on to Hoi An (maybe stopping at Dalat along the way. Fly from Hoi An (Danang) on to Hanoi.

5. Or.. similar to 4, but spend more time travelling from HCMC to Hoi An and skip out northern Vietnam. (Save it for another trip).

6. Or ... to 1-day trip from PP to HCMC (skipping Mekong area) then doing highlights in Vietnam (HCMC, Hoi An, Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay), spending 3-4 days in each minimum.

(This is top-of-head as I'm in a rush to type this...so I haven't worked out number of days for my suggested options).

Given your short time frame, and desire to see Cambodia and Vietnam, I would suggest missing out Sihanoukville (too much time spent getting there/back, and it's not all that great anyhow), Nha Trang (nothing too special there either) and Hue. If you're after beach time, there are some nice beaches in Hoi An area.

Keep in mind that each time you travel between destinations you essentially lose a good part of the day (waiting for bus, waiting on bus, getting to/from airport/bus station, actual travel time, finding/getting to accom, etc). That adds up when you are only away for 20 days.

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 06:36

• JoeMurray

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks so far!

Should probably have mentioned I'll have already spent 8 weeks in Cambodia volunteering around the Siem Reap area; and after my month or so of travelling I'll be travelling through Thailand afterwards for a further 4 weeks!
    I know it'd be silly to try and cover it all in the space of a few weeks

#4 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 06:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Well, you could easily do the Cambodia portion of your trip on weekend jaunts while living in Cambodia, then use your 3 weeks to focus on Vietnam. That changes the situation a bit!

#5 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 08:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Independent travel OR Tours? Cambodia / Thailand ... By Mattyrud on 21 Aug 2012 9 3114 22 Sep 2012