Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :)

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hi Everyone
    My boyfriend and I have booked flights to Bangkok next February to backpack through the 4 countries - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia in 1 month. We have been to Thailand twice before and this time want to head up north rather than the south.
    Basically our itinerary looks something like this:
    31st JAN - Arrive to Bangkok early morning
    (Either train to chiang mai or fly later that day?)
    1st- 4th FEB - Spend 3-4 days in Chiang Mai... maybe a cooking class and another few tours? Then need to make our way to Vangvieng in Laos. Fly or Train? How to get there? Would we have to cross through Vientiane ?
    4th-8th FEB - Spend 3 - 4 days in Vangvieng river tubing then head over to Hanoi ... we thought best way to get to Hanoi was to fly from Vientiane as its a fair distance away. Is this the best option?
    9th-12th FEB - Arrive at Hanoi for one day then get a tour to Halong bay and spend the night on a Junk Boat. Leave Halong bay and make our way to Hoi An - fly or train?
    13th-15th FEB - Arrive at Hoi An - no ideas yet as to what to do? Any suggestions? Fly or train down to Ho Chi Minh City ?
    16th-19th FEB - Arrive at Ho Chi Minh City -maybe see Cu Chi Tunnels or other tour? Then fly to Phnom Phen or train?
    20th-22th FEB- Arrive at Phnom Phen for 1 day or 2- Any good tours or things to see?
    22th-24th FEB- Spend 2 days at Siem Reap - Angkor Wat is a must. Any other good tours or things to see?
    24th FEB- Arrive back in bangkok to be at airport on the 25th Feb

I would really appreciate any advice people can give us about some good tours to do and good things to see... would love to hear what people have experienced ( good or bad)
    Another thing we would like to know is the easiest way to get around... i.e.: flights or trains or buses? As we only have 4 weeks to do the 4 countries we don't think it’s a great idea to be spending 10-15 hours on transport every few days, however we may be wrong... what has everyone else done and recommend?
    We are not on a tight budget so money isnt really an issue and are happy to spend the extra few bucks here or there if it means we add more time to our trip
    Also if anyone has any suggestions about accommodation in the above places would be great to know too... just thinking we will book something when we get to each place and not before hand.
    Renee

#1 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 04:41

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Wow - I'm exhausted just reading your itinerary! I'd honestly recommend cutting it down, but if you're fixed on covering the 4 countries then flying is the way to go. Chiang Mai to VV would take a few days by land / river and same for getting up to Hanoi . Yes, you will need to go through Vientiene (or LP but Vientiene is nearer to Vang Vieng and I think flights are easier and cheaper).

You could do Hanoi to Hoi An by train as it's an overnight train so doesn't waste any time in the day but a flight to Danang is also feasible. However Hoi An to HCMC is about 20 hours on the train so a flight from Danang would be better for that stretch.

#2 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 10:51

• danni87

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2010

I went to thailand last year and went to chiang mai, I travelled by train and it took 12 hours from bangkok... so may be best to fly? depending on your budget..

#3 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 22:17

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

It depends if you want to spend that day in Bangkok. If you transferred straight from your flight into Bangkok onto a connecting flight up to CM then it makes sense, but to go into Bangkok for a few hours and then back out to the airport would waste quite a bit of time so I'd suggest the train as it's overnight so you won't lose any sightseeing time and the train station is in central Bangkok so getting there is easier.

#4 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 11:11

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Yes we are thinking flying where possible to save time so we can spend alot more time at our destinations. Also leaning towards the night train to Chiang Mai, first get some supllies in Bangkok then make our way onto the night train to CM.
    Thanks for the feedback and advice, anymore would be greatly appriciated :)

#5 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 09:28

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Slow down...

#6 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 14:53

• charlie_b

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2011

Hey I'm planning to spend 2 months in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Loas this summer. I'd really like to know how you ended up getting around and if you have any recommendations for me. Thanks.

#7 Posted: 6/3/2011 - 14:50

• maz_mo

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2011

Hi I am also planning on travelling through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam in a month or so for 2 months. charlie_b I would be interested to know how your plans are going so far I still don’t know where is best to fly in or how I am going to get from a to b.

#8 Posted: 6/3/2011 - 19:05

• trobs

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

this looks crazy fast to me, I've been going almost a month and I've only made it from Hanoi to Dalat. I would definately consider cutting out at least one country

#9 Posted: 6/3/2011 - 19:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary for last minute month (June) of solo backpacking in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos ... By s1136380 on 19 May 2013 3 1793 19 May 2013
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3226 31 Oct 2010
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3539 21 Oct 2013
Itinerary Help needed August - November - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia ... By shaunjansen on 17 Jan 2013 2 2186 18 Jan 2013
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3858 10 Jul 2007
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 3859 27 May 2013
Itinerary advice needed 22days Laos&Cambodia ... By kif on 21 Oct 2010 15 2745 25 Oct 2010
Itinerary advice - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Singapore ... By ToniandCraig on 2 Mar 2013 5 1905 6 Mar 2013
Another Itinerary Advice Request/Help - Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Thailand ... By naikman on 16 Oct 2012 0 1353 16 Oct 2012
Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jella82 on 3 Jul 2007 3 9671 10 Mar 2011