Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary / Budget Advice

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Looking to Fly from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City on the Thur 27th January 2011 to start my trip. Looking for advice on itinerary, budget and activities not to miss.

Will be starting in
    Vietnam for ~ 40 days - Late Jan - Early March
    South to North along the usual Farang Trail, Ha Long bay tour ect

Laos for ~ 30 days - Early March - Early April
    Temples, Hill Tribe tours ect

Cambodia for ~ 30 days Early April - Early May
    Angkor, Siem Reap, PP ect

Thailand for ~ 80 days Early May - late July
    Elephant Tours, Snorkeling, beaches/islands, Full moon party ect

Malaysia for ~ 20 days - Early July - Late July
    Food, temples ect

Indonesia for ~ 30 days - Early August late August
    Bali, Komodo, Gillies ect

Philippines for ~ 30 days - Early September - Early October
    Whale Shark diving at Donsol, weeks rest up at Boracay island before finishing trip

Fly home October sometime from Manila.

In total that works out roughly around 260- 280 days. My total budget for this trip is $12000 AUD. working on those numbers it gives me around $42/day to spend total.

I have budgeted

$30/day - Vietnam
    $30/day - Laos
    $25/day - Cambodia
    $35/day - Thailand
    $40/day - Malaysia/ Singapore
    $30/day - Indonesia
    $30/day - Philippines

Adding up to around $10000 roughly leaving me with around $2000 as a splurge/ emergency fund, all flights, insurance, gear ect has already been paid for.

Any advice appreciated, I will be traveling as a basic backpacker, hostels, cheap eats ect ect. doing the main sights and stuff. I'm not a party-goer but like the odd drink.for the most part i would like to do the majority fo the tour overland, only flights im looking at outside of the flight to HCMC and home are Krabie to Kota Bahru, Singapore to Denpasar and Denpasar to Manila.

Chuck us some feedback on anything guys, open to any criticism and changes / additions

#1 Posted: 6/11/2010 - 20:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Leaving in an month, budget, itinerary nerves/worries. Advice appreciated ... By RTWnewbie on 9 Aug 2012 4 2004 10 Aug 2012