Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

In Which Order?

Posted by MasterBates on 12/11/2010 at 08:11

I am voyaging for the first time to the region of South East Asia. I am landing in Bangkok on November 19, and from here will embark on my jaunt into Cambodia, Vietnam and/or Laos.

The crucial information I seek is the following: which one should I enter after strolling accross Cambodia? Would you experts reccommend Laos or Vietnam?

I have 6 months in total, so I can divide my time as I see fit.

Ta,

MB

#1 MasterBates has been a member since 12/11/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by caseyprich on 12/11/2010 at 11:32

It might be easiest to venture from Cambodia into Vietnam first, via the Mekong Delta - then work your way to North Vietnam and enter Laos from there. That way as you work your way south through Laos you'll always be up next to Thailand and can run towards Bangkok to catch your flight home.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by eastwest on 12/11/2010 at 13:58

I don't know your plans/interests but in general people take 2 week to see higlights of Laos and 4 weeks for Vietnam. You can off course extend both visits but with that much time (6 months) I think you can easily visit both.
If you double the above times for more off-the-beaten-track stuff you still have 3 months left for Thailand.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by eastwest on 12/11/2010 at 14:01

sorry!
I saw that it wasn't a choice between the two for visiting. Just about the route.

Agree with Casey. Enter Vietnam first

#4 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by Tilapia on 12/11/2010 at 20:55

Hey MB,

Make sure you've got your Vietnamese visa beforehand.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MasterBates on 12/11/2010 at 21:24

@Tilapia -- I plan on acquiring my Vietnam visa in Cambodia; I read that this is possible in a few places.

@everyone who posted -- thank you for your input -- I did think the Vietnam route was the most practical, but thought it best to make sure.

I really don't have any set itenaries -- my philosophy is to make my voyage as spontaneous as possible.

However, if anyone has suggestions for 'must see' destinations, I will gratefully consider them.

Many Thanks,

MasterB

#6 MasterBates has been a member since 12/11/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by Tilapia on 13/11/2010 at 23:37

Must see destinations? Depends on what you like, what you're interested in, and what you hope to see and do while you're there.

#7 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.