Southeast Asia forum

In Which Order?

• MasterBates

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

I am voyaging for the first time to the region of South East Asia. I am landing in Bangkok on November 19, and from here will embark on my jaunt into Cambodia, Vietnam and/or Laos.

The crucial information I seek is the following: which one should I enter after strolling accross Cambodia? Would you experts reccommend Laos or Vietnam?

I have 6 months in total, so I can divide my time as I see fit.

Ta,

MB

#1 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 08:11

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

It might be easiest to venture from Cambodia into Vietnam first, via the Mekong Delta - then work your way to North Vietnam and enter Laos from there. That way as you work your way south through Laos you'll always be up next to Thailand and can run towards Bangkok to catch your flight home.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 11:32

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't know your plans/interests but in general people take 2 week to see higlights of Laos and 4 weeks for Vietnam. You can off course extend both visits but with that much time (6 months) I think you can easily visit both.
    If you double the above times for more off-the-beaten-track stuff you still have 3 months left for Thailand.

#3 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 13:58

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

sorry!
    I saw that it wasn't a choice between the two for visiting. Just about the route.

Agree with Casey. Enter Vietnam first

#4 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 14:01

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey MB,

Make sure you've got your Vietnamese visa beforehand.

#5 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 20:55

• MasterBates

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

@Tilapia -- I plan on acquiring my Vietnam visa in Cambodia; I read that this is possible in a few places.

@everyone who posted -- thank you for your input -- I did think the Vietnam route was the most practical, but thought it best to make sure.

I really don't have any set itenaries -- my philosophy is to make my voyage as spontaneous as possible.

However, if anyone has suggestions for 'must see' destinations, I will gratefully consider them.

Many Thanks,

MasterB

#6 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 21:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Must see destinations? Depends on what you like, what you're interested in, and what you hope to see and do while you're there.

#7 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 23:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.