Southeast Asia forum

Laptop or notebook so I can download photo

• puneh

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2006

I have been asking my hubby if he can bring his laptop or notebook in order for us to download our digital photos. we will be traveling Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.
    He feels it is just too risky and it migh tget stolen. I told him that SE Asia countries seem very safe.

Few questions:

1. Can I bring laptop?
    2. how else can I store my photos? for example to storing them on a cd ?

also can I leave it in the hotel while we are around town or should we carry it with us the whole time?

Also I have read about the backpack with wheels and was wondering why can we not take our bags on the bus or mini van? why must they be stored on top of the bus and why not under our feet or in front of our seats .

#1 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 00:07

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Puneh,

I wouldn't want to take my laptop on a vacation to southeast Asia either. It would be too much of a pain to keep an eye on the thing, and more to the point, you can always download your photos onto CDs and upload them onto web-based photo storage programs. If anything, invest in an extra memory card for your camera so you don't need to download photos as often. Almost every photo shop and internet cafe in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos can create photo CDs for you, and for a very affordable price. They are literally on every corner too. I'd leave the laptop home and take advantage of what is available locally.

As for your luggage? It is often just a matter of space. Once you see the minivans and buses that we're talking about, you have a better idea. Unless you have an very small pack, your main pack will almost always need to go into the luggage area instead of staying with you at your seat.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 10:52

• bunny

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2006

Hi Puneh! I was worried about photo storage too on our 2 month trip last summer - my first ever trip to Asia - and I stupidly forgot to pack the extra camera cards that we had.

I did a couple of things to solve the problem... first, every couple of days I used internet cafes to download some of my very favorite pics to a free yahoo photos website. That way I knew that our very best photos were available even if I managed to lose the camera or erase the card, plus our friends and family could see the photos online as our trip was unfolding, since yahoo gives you the option to send anyone you like a link to your online photos. Then, once the camera card filled up, I again used an internet cafe to copy all the pics to cds (even the pics I had already sent to the yahoo photos site). I burned 2 identical cds. It wasn't very expensive at all - about 100 baht or so each I think. I kept one cd in the bottom of my backpack and mailed one back home to myself (it did arrive back in the US safely). After I had copied all the pics to the cds, I erased most of them from my camera card, keeping just 10 or 20 of our favorites on the card. Then I started this process all over again. Throughout our entire trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos I don't think we were ever unable to find an internet cafe.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas. I have to say I wouldn't have wanted to carry a laptop on our trip, especially since the internet cafes were so plentiful and cheap. Happy travels. ~bunny

#3 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 11:22

• bunny

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2006

Hi Puneh! I was worried about photo storage too on our 2 month trip last summer - my first ever trip to Asia - and I stupidly forgot to pack the extra camera cards that we had.

I did a couple of things to solve the problem... first, every couple of days I used internet cafes to download some of my very favorite pics to a free yahoo photos website. That way I knew that our very best photos were available even if I managed to lose the camera or erase the card, plus our friends and family could see the photos online as our trip was unfolding, since yahoo gives you the option to send anyone you like a link to your online photos. Then, once the camera card filled up, I again used an internet cafe to copy all the pics to cds (even the pics I had already sent to the yahoo photos site). I burned 2 identical cds. It wasn't very expensive at all - about 100 baht or so each I think. I kept one cd in the bottom of my backpack and mailed one back home to myself (it did arrive back in the US safely). After I had copied all the pics to the cds, I erased most of them from my camera card, keeping just 10 or 20 of our favorites on the card. Then I started this process all over again. Throughout our entire trip through Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos I don't think we were ever unable to find an internet cafe.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas. I have to say I wouldn't have wanted to carry a laptop on our trip, especially since the internet cafes were so plentiful and cheap. Happy travels. ~bunny

#4 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 11:23

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say: bring the laptop!

It's not that much of a hassle. Once you get used to it, that is. I always bring mine with me when I travel — it's been many times to Thailand, Cambodia, India, Bangladesh, etc. Then again I have a 12" laptop, and I shoot semi-professionally: being able to look at my pictures on a nicely calibrated screen and do some minor editing, was fab. I also refuse to use Windows, and the internet cafes frustrate me so much (sometimes, no cd burner, slow upload/download speeds, usb ports that don't work). I'm used to working with my equipment in a hassle-free way, so the laptop works very well for me.

Additionally, the laptop is also my DVD player/portable entertainment centre.

I usually leave my laptop in my guesthouse. Have never had a problem. Just remember never to flaunt it in public.

Other options: before I started bringing a laptop with me, I'd rent one of those photo storage devices. The iPod with the requisite camera connector can do that, but I much prefer the 'no brand' types like the Vosonic or Epson photo viewers. These are very widespread in Asia, mostly made in China or Taiwan. I hooked up with someone on my local photography forums, and rented one for $15 for my entire trip, with 20GB of storage. Worked pretty well if you can get your hands on one.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2006 - 14:00

• jeffbrad

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2006

HI, I am planning year or so round the world trip starting mid next year and have just bought an IRiver Personal Media Player that will hold 20Gb of media. It will also allow me to transfer my photos from my camera directly via USB. I will also be carrying a PDA for writing a diary and can back that up to the PMP as well. The device can fit in your pocket and mine just cost me £80 on eBay. Lots if similar items to this available. Can also store Mp3s and movies so multifunction when you are sat in an airport and want some music. The only issue is making sure I have enough batteries or regularly recharge the built in one.

Oh, and for anyone who is technophone and thinks it could breakdown and lose my whole collection, I will probably do the Internet cafe CD backup thing as well and have them mailed home regularly. Belt and braces !!

The main thing is to keep it small and light.

#6 Posted: 5/12/2006 - 19:27

• skinnylatte

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2005

Well, since you're travelling in Asia, make the most of it — cheap tech in some places! In Singapore you'd be able to pick up a OTG-case (just a hard disk case with the slots for your memory cards and USB) for I think about S$70. Add as much hard disk as you like inside, 160gb if you wish, by buying the hard disk to put in the case.

All in all, that should cost around the same price as the 80 pounds jeffbrad paid for the 20gb iriver (of course this will just be your regular photo storage device, with few other personal media facilities). But if you don't shoot THAT much (I shoot about 2gb a day so this/the laptop makes sense), the download at internet cafe and burn to disc option sounds pretty attractive.

#7 Posted: 30/12/2006 - 02:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.