Southeast Asia forum

Is this itinerary doable or are we nuts?

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Hello all,

After much research I've come up with a tentative itinerary. I'd love to hear comments, suggestions, criticisms to help me adjust the plan. Yes, I know it seems a bit rushed so I'm looking for planning help. We have 31 days in total. Unpredictable travel delays, illnesses, etc. aside, is this plan humanly possible? Thanks and I greatly appreciate the patience of those experienced traveller's who take the time to offer itinerary advice to a novice like me :)

Day 1 & 2- Travel from Toronto to BKK
    Day 3-6: BKK sightseeing/shopping (4 full days in BKK)
    Day 7-11: Luang Prabang (fly BKK-LP on day 7 am)
    Day 12-13: Vang Vieng (bus to VV on day 12)
    Day 14-15: Vientiane (bus VV-VTN)
    Day 15 (pm)-overnight bus VTN to Pakse
    Day 16-Pakse-Si Phan Don
    Day 16-18: Don Det
    Day 19: Don Det-Kratie
    Day 20-22: Overland to Phnom Penh
    Day 23-27: Overland to Siem reap (Will do 1 day pass at Angkor)
    Day 27: Siem Reap to BKK (overland)
    Day 29: BKK
    Day 30: (extra day)
    Day 31: Fly Home

#1 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 02:58

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Amz!

With 27 posts under your belt, you're not a newbie or a novice anymore. You're a backpacker!

The itin looks busy but okay to me, although I can't comment much on the Vientiane to Phnom Penh portion of the trip. My only concerns are:
    a) one day is not giving yourself very much time at angkor given how hard you'll be working just to get there, and
    b) what happened to day 28? are you planning to be bad and not tell us?

Saving a bit of extra time at the end in BKK is always a good idea, and I'd recommend doing your shopping at the end of your trip rather than the beginning. You'll know better how much things cost then, and you won't have to haul your treasures all over southeast asia with you for a month.

#2 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 11:01

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Yo Amz,

Doesn't look too bad but maybe you could consider a flight from Pakse to Siem Reap, it would save you a good few days and like Exacto pointed out, give you more time in Angkor. Lao Airlines fly once a day for US$85: http://www.laoairlines.com/index.html

You could get a Discovery Airpass which just may be cheaper; it would also include your flight from BKK-LPQ: http://www.bangkokair.com/discoveryairpass/

Ditto on the 'Shopping Spree'................................

chill

ps, when do you go??

#3 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 17:22

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Thanks for your replies. Phew! I'm glad to hear you both think the plan is likely humanely possible :) We leave Toronto on Feb 22.

Ooops! Day 28 is the day overland between Siem Reap and BKK.
    Yes I know 1 day is very little for Angkor but I've been reading tonnes of posts and think that like many others, we may get "templed out" after 1 long day. However, I am stilll seriously thinking of doing at least 1.5 days at Angkor. We'll decide after day 1 I suppose.

I just noticed that I budgeted a generous 5 days for Siem Reap (and Angkor). We could probably spend 1 of those days along another leg of the trip.

As for flying between Pakse and Siem Reap.....I am familiar with the Discovery Pass however three flights are not really in our budget. (I've priced out three legs with all costs and taxes and its $$$!) Also, we don't want to miss the Si Phan Don area. And since the flight between pakse and Siem Reap only goes once a day (in the morning I believe) we'd have to spend 1 day just backtracking from SPD to pakse.

For the last minute shopping in BKK....that's what we're counting on! However, we're in BKK on a weekend only when we ARRIVE in BKK, at the begining of our trip. So we'll only be able to hit Chatuchak at the start. We are considering storing a bag or two when we leave BKK for laos/cambodia and picking it up when we come back. Any advice on storing a few bags of souvenirs? where? is it safe?

Thanks a million! Cheers.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 20:31

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Yo....................

Storage???

It was back in the 90s but if my memory stands I recall storage facilities at the Railway Station (Hua Lamphong).

Some Hotels/Guesthouses would also be happy to keep your gear for a small fee.

In short. You'll have no need to lug all your souvenirs around South east Asia............................ ;-)

chill
    stevie

#5 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Laos in 3-4 weeks - is this itinerary doable? ... By saxomophone on 11 May 2009 2 2401 11 May 2009