Southeast Asia forum

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. Currency??

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Hi Everyone!

I'm from Australia and I'm heading to Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia in feb for 7 weeks. cant wait!!! :)

i was just wondering what currencys i will need when in Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia will i need to have $USD on me????? if so how much should i have???

or will i only need the local currency??

I'm already familiar with Thai Baht.

thank you :)

#1 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 11:32

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi renee,

as you mentioned, thailand is well-developed and uses thai baht pretty much exclusively. the only place i've ever been asked to pay in dollars was in jewelry or tailor shops. otherwise, baht is all you need.

the lao kip used to be sparsely used even in laos, but it has gained strength and popularity throughout the country. on my last trip there this past january, i didn't use anything other than kip the entire time.

cambodia still uses US dollars as the main currency, and you'll get cambodian riel as change for purchases, which you can in turn use for small purchases, tips, stuff like that.

i haven't been to vietnam, but from what i hear from others you'll do best to pay in dong.

international ATM's in thailand, laos, and vietnam dispense local currency. international ATM's in cambodia dispense US dollars. if i have my facts dated, i'm sure someone will jump in with the updated information.

you can read more on this topic at: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/103

by the way, you may want to have US dollars on hand to pay for visa on arrival in Laos and Cambodia, for example. either way, i usually keep a bit of US cash on hand for emergencies, visas, and stuff like that. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 12:32

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Sounds right to me...

#3 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 14:23

• reneejordan

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!! Much appreciated

#4 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 12:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What currency to get for Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam ... By samadam on 3 Dec 2009 2 4190 4 Dec 2009
Currency options for Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam ... By simeone_8 on 17 Mar 2006 4 3684 18 Apr 2006
local currency or USD Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia, ... By samsmithsurfs on 21 Feb 2012 4 2931 23 Feb 2012
Currency - Travelling Vietnam to Laos ... By laydeesian on 3 Feb 2013 3 1187 6 Feb 2013