Southeast Asia forum

Best route for SE Asia trip

• floralbutton

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010

I am looking for some travelling advice!

Myself and my friend are planning to travel through Thailand, Vietnam, Loas and Cambodia over a 3 month period and we were wondering what would be the best route to take to enable us to get a flavour of each country and not just skim over the surface.

As my friend will be in Malaysia anyway when I meet her in kuala lumpur (if will be travelling from Hong Kong after doing a tour of China), we are planning to visit Singapore for a few weeks, travel up through Malaysia into southern Thailand, up through Bangkok to Chaing Mai then on to Loas and into Vietnam. From there we hope to travel down through the country ending in Cambodia.

It is our first time travelling in Asia so would be great to get some advice on time scales and the best routes to travel as we are on a budget but are open to getting flights if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 19:35

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you are planning on traveling through all four in three months - well, by definition you are just going to "skim over the surface." You can barely do more than that if you just stay in one of these countries. Most people posting here who are coming for the first time are trying to get a feel for which place appeals to them the most in order to plan a better targetted future trip. If that's your intent, then I would say the standard route of the Thai / Malay peninsula, working your way up to Bangkok, then on to Ayudaha, perhaps a side trip to Kanchanaburi, then Chiang Mai, perhaps Pai or a few such places in northern Thailand, cross into Laos, hit Vientiane, Luang Prabang, VV - the usual - then over into Vietnam - Halong Bay, Hanoi, down the coast to Saigon, into the delta and then to Cambodia - PP, the coast (Kep, Sihanoukville) and a side trip to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat).

You don't mention your departure point, so that would obviously influence where you go next and how.

For more detail than this, it would be helpful to know your likes, dislikes, and specific interests in the region...

#2 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 23:09

• tomlmcclean

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2010

Hey FloralButton....Iam doing this excact trip aswell starting in January. From Bkk Iam heading to Kanchanaburi and from there my intinary is basically the same as MADMAC's suggestion. Ive had a few friends do this root and it seems to be the best option for the time limit uve set. Iam going 3months also, cant wait.....need to get away from this dame snow. lol have a good 1.

#3 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 08:09

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"A few weeks" in Singapore is an awfully long time. I'd take some of that time and spread it around in the other countries.

Get a Thai tourist visa before you leave Hong Kong.

#4 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 00:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.