Southeast Asia forum

Planning SEA, need advise

• cocovanilla

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

I am planning a trip to SEA, April 2011. Don't have much time, approx 25 days due to work obligation but want to see few countries Thailand, Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, Singapore, Bali in Indonesia, Phnom Penh and Sien Reap in Cambodia. I would like to know what is the best route to follow to cover all. Ideally I wouldn't want to come back to the same place twice to go to a new place. Maximum time I will be spending will be in Thailand and Bali

Before I go to SEA I will be traveling to India from Canada and will fly out from New Delhi to SEA.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 08:58

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

What are your interests, CocoVanilla?

That aside, though, with 3 1/2 weeks, and already having decided that most of it will be spent in Thailand and Bali, you'll be flying between destinations and will probably limit yourself to Bangkok, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bali. And in that order, I would think.

#2 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 09:31

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

That really is a lot to try and fit into 3 1/2 weeks, you'll get the sample platter - but won't have much time to try a second bite if you really like something.

Thailand is big - so it depends on what you want to see. Just doing Chiang Mai in the North for a few days and then a few days on an island and you've already filled up a week. Give yourself another week for both Phnom Penh & Siem Reap . . . then fly down to Bali and skip Singapore . . . or skip Cambodia and spend few days in Singapore, but I'd skip one for sure.

Since you'll certainly get a lot of country, temples, and culture in Thailand & Bali you may want to skip Cambodia for now so you can get the megacity feel in Singapore - and since Singapore wouldn't need as much time as Cambodia you'd have more time to fit into Thailand and Bali.

Travel time from Bangkok to the Islands is at least a day each way, same with destinations in Cambodia, and flights to and from Bali/Singapore will usually eat up the better part of a day. You've always got to figure that into an itinerary.

#3 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 13:05

• cocovanilla

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

Thanks Guys, for your excellent input.

My interest is in seeing the unique architectures both old and new, flora and fauna, I can't swim so beach time means beach time, not in water - lol, I would like to sample local food, no party scene and club etc. I don't want to waste time in those. Visiting local markets but shopping is not top of list.

So far this is how I am thinking. I might do entire Thailand in the end. Few more days for traveling from one place to another.

3 days BKK - emphasize Kanchanburi and Ayuthaya
    3 days Chiang Mai
    3 days Phuket /Rallay/Krabi
    2 days Kuala Lumpur
    2 days Singapore
    6 days Bali
    2 days Phnom Penh
    2 days Seam Reap

From Phuket I want to take overnight train to KL, from KL to Singapore via road, I think, Flight from Singapore to Bali, I don't know how to reach Cambodia from Bali, yet. From Cambodia either flight or bus to BKK.

Or start my journey by flying to KL from Delhi and start the counterclockwise route above.

Do you all know best way to reach Cambodia from Bali or vice versa?

Please tell me more about this.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 08:07

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Cambodia to Bali is not convenient -- you'd need to fly and connect in one of the cities already on your itinerary (Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, or Bangkok).

You arrive in KL? I'd suggest something like this:

Kuala Lumpur to Singapore (by road), Singapore to Bali (fly), Bali to Phuket (fly with AirAsia), Phuket to rest of Thailand ( Chiang Mai and Bangkok), Bangkok to Cambodia

Note that there isn't actually a train station in Phuket -- the nearest one is in Surat Thani about 200 km away.

I know there's already a lot of flights in your itinerary, but another that would save you a lot of time is Phuket to Chiang Mai. Then you could take the train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and still see the countryside. Otherwise Phuket to Bangkok is about 12 hours and Bangkok to Chiang Mai is another 10ish.

There are good flight connections from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to Cambodia, so an alternative would be something like this:

KL to Bali (fly), Bali to Singapore (fly), Singapore to Cambodia (flights to Siam Reap or Phnom Penh), then overland to Thailand for whatever time you have left.

#5 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 08:51

• cocovanilla

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

This really looks like a good suggestion. I will really have to put all this together way in advance so that I can accomplish this.

Apart from Air Asia are there any other airline that matches the airfare?

I see Air Asia flies from Delhi, so I can go directly to Bali from Delhi, then fly Bali to Singapore, then to KL via road, fly from KL to Cambodia and then by land to BKK.
    How is the road trip from KL to Singapore? How many hours?

#6 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:17

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

KL to Singapore is only about 4-5 hours by bus, including immigration time. Very easy and do-able.

#7 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:19

• cocovanilla

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

Me likey - that is good one. How much is the ticket for bus from KL to Singapore?

Any idea how many hours from BKK to Siem Reap by bus?

#8 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:41

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Most KL to Singapore buses are about 30RM, but there are luxury buses with WiFi/meals/etc. that cost more.

For Bangkok to Siam Reap, check out this Travelfish feature about all your options -- http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

#9 Posted: 17/12/2010 - 09:56

• cocovanilla

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2010

Thanks for all the inputs, everybody.

This is clearing up lots of doubts and helping me a lot.

Any suggstions please let me know.

BTW, any suggestion for online clear map of SEA?

#10 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 03:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Need advise and tips....First Timers from Malaysia....planning to Hanoi... ... By jivie798 on 6 Feb 2011 3 1860 7 Feb 2011
Planning a trip to South East Asia...Would like advise on things to do and see ... By thatscottishlad on 4 Nov 2013 5 1495 6 Nov 2013