Southeast Asia forum

Mobile phone while traveling?

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hello there,

at some point this year im going on a trip around south east asia for 4months and will be visiting 5 countries, I was just wandering if anyone had any advice on what i should do about my phone situation, (apologies if its a stupid question)....can I buy sim cards easily were ever I am?? or is there like a multi country sim card?? do I bring a duel band phone with me??
    any help would be much appreciated

thanx

LeChron

#1 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 05:22

• Advertisement

• EricQC

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2011

Not a stupid question at all; I wondered the same thing before I went there. SIM cards are easy to find, and very inexpensive. Some are even "free" at airports and hotels. You can recharge them at 7/11s and many stores. You will need a different SIM for each country.

In Thailand I had lots of time left on a 70THB card so decided to call my bank in Canada: after being on hold for 7 minutes I hung up -- and still had enough time to call Australia for a few minutes!

Be sure to bring a charger and a suitable adapter.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 11:43

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

off topic, but since you mentioned about a suitable adapter.

what kind of adapter will we need, i'd assume probably each country will have a complete different power outlets? if so, any you recommend of which outlet converter to get?

thanks

#3 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 11:52

• EricQC

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2011

Most new electronics can cope with 120/240V and 50/60 cycle so you normally only need a plug adapter. I found a good no-name one at an airport (under $US15) with fold-out plugs to fit any SE Asian socket as well as ones in Oz, UK and Canada. It also has a USB outlet so I can charge my MP3 and GPS devices.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 12:36

• raindog

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 5

Local SIM cards are cheap and easy to find. The SIM (plus a bit of credit) will cost between $5 and 10 US then you can buy top up cards after that. The place you buy it will help set it up (you'll probably need to show your passport or a copy) and the top up cards have English instructions. This is based on the old school type unlocked mobile not iPhones and 3G. Adaptors are best picked up when you get there, I paid $1 for one in Cambodia and it lasted me for Laos and Vietnam too. Take your charger with you to make sure you buy the right one.

#5 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 13:23

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

The main problem we had was that our UK phones were locked by our UK providers. I eventually got mine unblocked for free (it took about a month with O2) but Orange were going to charge my boyfriend £20 for the priviledge so he bought a second hand Nokia phone in Thailand which was cheaper and did the trick. This probably isn't a problem for everyone but worth checking out before you leave home.

#6 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 19:18

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

thanks for your feed-back EricQC,

by chance, would you have a picture handy of the converter you purchased, give me an idea of what to look for, for $15 that'll work anywhere is a pretty sweet deal. which air-port did u buy it from?

thanks

#7 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 21:04

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

wow, some brilliant advice, everything I needed to know has been covered!!
    I really appreciate it, its defo put my mind at ease, I am also from the UK so i'll bring a dual band mobile phone and if its still blocked out there I'll take the advice and buy a cheap phone while I'm there and sounds like it wont be a problem for me to sort out sim cards, sounds simple enough, thanks again everyone!

Much Love

LeChron

#8 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 03:13

• EricQC

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2011

The plug adapter I have was made by Digital & Wireless Group. It is ~5x6x8cm with plug components that fold out of the back to configure for different countries. The two prongs to fit NA plugs swivel to adapt to Australian sockets. You can see a similar device without USB at www.qualitychinagoods.com/worldwide-universal-electric-pins-plug-adapter-p-495.html for ~USD11 (but this is not what I have). I don't have any pictures of mine. I think we picked it up at Heathrow (but it may have been Singapore).

#9 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 06:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
MOBILE PHONE ... By MILKDOG on 21 Sep 2006 2 1964 23 Sep 2006
What is the most versatile mobile phone to use in Asia? ... By gregoreye on 3 Jun 2009 4 4791 5 Dec 2009
Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia? ... By appro on 9 Aug 2010 0 3413 9 Aug 2010
online bus tickets - did someone book it before by mobile phone? ... By GuideLion on 6 Mar 2014 4 531 8 Mar 2014
Making cheap phone calls on mobile in Laos to UK ... By LoganT on 18 Sep 2009 17 6060 21 Mar 2012