Southeast Asia forum

How to get there?!

• B3ANO

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Hi,

Im heading to Southeast Asia mid febuary to mid march.

I fly into Bangkok...
    I want to see Cambodia (angkor wat) area..
    then I want to goto Laos, Vang Veng (tubing)
    back into thailand to Chiang Mai...
    then down south towards the beaches to relax for the end of my trip (phuket etc)
    then back to Bangkok to fly home...

any help would be appreciated, i dont have heaps of $$$ so flying to every destination is not an option.. hoping to complete this in the order mentioned.

HELP

#1 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 08:31

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

With one month you can do this trip, but it would be very tight, especially if you are not flying. I imagine you'll want to spend a few days in Bangkok before you head to Siem Reap , so that would be your first week. You could go to Vang Vieng by cutting through Eastern Thailand, but I imagine it'd be slow rolling, and the same for Southern Laos, if you're passing through the region it's a shame to only see it through the bus window. For this reason, I'd suggest that you at least take a flight from Siem Reap to Vientiane and from there you can go to Vang Vieng.

Here again, getting from Vang Vieng to Chaing Mai will be a little time consuming. I honestly think the best bet would be to make your way through Luang Prabang up to Huay Xia and cross into Thailand there. However, with this overland crossing into Thailand the visa is a lot shorter. Anyway, if you fly to Vientinne, spend a couple of days there, then a couple of days in Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang you'll end up eating another week and a half easy before you get to Chiang Mai.

Here you could decide how much time to spend in that area depending on how much beach time you want to have. The other option if beach is more important would be to go overland to Vientiane from Siem Reap - go to Vang Vieng and then skip Northern Thailand instead heading back down to the South, back tracking through Vientiane. If you wanted to overland through Laos you could stop at Si Phon Don/Pakse to break up the journey.

There is a feature article that tells you all about the different ways to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

#2 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 12:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.