Southeast Asia forum

General cost per day for motorbite rental?

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Would like to get a general idea of how much it costs to rent motorbikes per day in the likes of Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos?

Would it cost more than $10 per person?

Would it be possible for two people to travel on one bike?

#1 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 05:31

• Advertisement

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Chico,

Two people can travel on a bike thats fine thats what me and my friend did, and I can only speak for thailand but the rental charge per day from what I experienced was maximum 200baht a day which is about 6 dollars, you can probably get it for cheaper in certain places, you dont need any licence but in most cases they'll ask for your passport as deposit.

hope thats some help, have a great trip!

LeChron : )

#2 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 05:43

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

And is that $6 for the bike or per person?

I was going to ask about the licence, but you said what I wanted to know.

Another question while on the subject of bikes.....how easy is it to navigate around. What I mean is say you rent it from X and then you go off for the day or what ever, will it be difficult to get back to spot X? I'm not great at finding my way without a sat nav :-|

#3 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 09:04

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

It's about $6 in Vietnam too. And last time we went to Laos we WERE asked for our license - they said they'd rent us an old bike without it but that new bikes were more likely to be stopped by police and if we didn't have a license we'd get fined. Not sure how accurate that is, given our UK car licenses aren't really valid, but that's what they said.

It's easy to get around if you can read a map! But anyway, it depends on where you are. For example, finding your way around and out of Hanoi would be tricky if you've got no map reading skills, but driving around the Bolavan Plateau in Laos is easier as there are less ways you can go wrong!

#4 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 09:17

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

yeah its 6 dollars for the bike and i'd say get to know the area a bit and you should be find, a day riding around on the bike will usually help you get your bearings of the area

hope thats been some help

LeChron

#5 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 19:22

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

$4 in Phnom Penh , $5 here in Banlung. You don't need a license unless you get pulled over. Then you have to pay the cops a dollar and they let you drive off. Still without a license.

Navigation depends on where you are of course. Here in Banlung if you have a good map and can say "Banlung" you're fine. In Phnom Penh the city is grid-ish but it is easy to get turned around because of one way streets and un-crossable boulevards.

Two on one bike is standard, but they can fit up to 6-7 people plus animals.

'sheeed

#6 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 09:54

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

'Two on a bike is standard, but they can fit up to 6-7 people plus animals'

^^^ haaahaaa so true!!

#7 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 01:13

• sparklesint-
    hesky

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Do they really need your passport? How safe is that?

#8 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 17:52

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

Sparklesinthesky,
    Its either your passport or a large cash deposit. It's their insurance just incase you trash their bike and try to pull a fast one. Car rental places all over the world do it in the form of withholding money on your credit card.

#9 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 06:29

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i bet they have a safe. in a way its a good way to keep your passport safe while you travel :)

#10 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 07:40

• Advertisement

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Rentinga motorbike is a good option to travel around cheaply and Icompletely agree with as said above that in most cases you have todeposit your passport.

#11 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 19:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.