Southeast Asia forum

Help with 35 days itinerary in South East Asia

• leopaik

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011

Guys, need ur help with myitinerary to the South East Asia. Iam going tospend 35 days amongst Thailand,Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. This is my tentativeitinerary:

1. Bangkok
    2. Pattaya – Koh Samet
    3. Siem Reap
    4. Phnom Penh(and Sihaunoukville?)
    5. Ho Chi Min City
    6. Mekong Delta
    7. Hoi An (by plane)
    8. Hanoi(by plane)
    9. HaLong Bay (or/and Sapa?)
    10. Hanoi
    11. Luang Prabang
    12. Vang vieng (and vientiane?)
    13. Chiang mai
    14. Bangkok

Help me to answer the following questions:
    1. Should i skip some of these places? My doubts areSihaunoukville, sapa and vientianemainly.
    2. missing some nice places?
    3.What is the optimal time for each city?
    4. What is the best way to go from bangkok to Siem Reaptaking in count cost-benefits (time and money)?
    5. We are expecting to spend U$D 45 dollars per day inaverage (incluiding airfare, diving and other excursion fees). Is it enough?

Sorry, we need i fast reply since we are flying the 20th ofjan (5 days from now). Thank you for urtime!!!

#1 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 15:55

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The first three spots will be at least a week if you want to check out Bangkok to settle into things (2/3 days) then spend some time relaxing on the beaches (3 days) before you go temple spotting (2/3 days). A good feature http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71 on getting from Bangkok to Siem Reap, though if you're already at Pattaya you'll probably want to avoid doubling back to Bangkok if possible and get direct transport to Aranyaprathet.

I've heard nice things about Ko Semet and terrible things about Pattaya, just saying. If you don't need to hit the beaches right away, you could keep them in your back pocket for the end of your trip as a reward for good schedule keeping. That way you could go directly from Bangkok to Siem Reap.

Also, many people go from PP through the Delta to HCMC - this will take a couple days but give you the opportunity to come in through places like Can Tho and then hit HCMC without again having to double back to HCMC from the delta to catch your flight forward.

I think fitting Sapa into the schedule is tight, and highly recommend that you fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang to save time. You'll probably want to fly from LP or Vientiane to Chang Mai also - I know it gets pricey, but if you're not flying I'd maybe recommend thinking of Chang Mai as another reward for good schedule keeping and otherwise be prepared to let it go in case you decide to spend more time somewhere else.

Just some thoughts, sorry I couldn't be more concrete. However, the best advice I have is to let the schedule stay loose and be willing to dump a chunk of it if you are somewhere you really like. If someplace really appeals to you then soak it up. In many of these areas it is a plethora of day or two day trips in the region around the city that make people fall in love with the place.

#2 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 17:23

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Cut a country out I say... too fast.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 10:13

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I like Rasheeed's bluntness. Without knowing what you really want to see I'd suggest cutting out Laos so you can linger longer in Vietnam and then fly directly from Hanoi to Chiang Mai.

#4 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 12:34

• leopaik

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011

I really appreciate ur advises guys! This is our itinerary's second version:
    Bangkok (going inmediately to pattaya)
    Pattaya (2 days)
    Koh Samet (2 days)
    Siem Reap (4 days) BY BUS
    Phnom Penh (2 days)
    Mekong Delta and Ho Chi Min City (4 days) BY BOAT
    Hoi An (2 days) BY PLANE
    Hanoi (going directly to Ha Long Bay) BY PLANE
    Ha Long Bay (1 days)
    Hanoi (2 days)
    Luang Prabang (4 days) BY PLANE
    Vang vieng ( 1 days)
    Chiang mai (4 days) BY PLANE
    Bangkok (2 days)

It would take 30 days without the moving time from one city to another.

We decided to bring additional money for the airfares only which we estimated to be around U$S 250. Should i modified something on my itinerary? Thank u guys again for ur help and time. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#5 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 15:04

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

LP is nice, but doesn't have to be four days - be prepared to give that day to another location if you like without a terrible consequence on your time spent there.

Just to recommend - an overnight home-stay/village-stay somewhere west of Chiang Mai is a great experience if you have four days there. It is especially interesting to stay with a Karen group if you are able to get a guide who can translate.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 16:00

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I'm sure your journey is possible, but it's so fast I think you may regret trying to do so much. Some parts are so rushed as to be almost pointless. Slow down, take some places out - come back another time if you enjoy where you've been.

I get confused when people talk in days. I prefer to think in nights - how many nights are you going to sleep somewhere. A large part of a day can be spent travelling, so number of nights always makes more sense to me. In other words, if you stay somewhere 2 nights, well you arrive the evening of day one after travelling all day possibly, stay a night, have a full day and then next morning are off again to the next place. I mean - what are you gonna see ?

Your proposed trip has lots of this kind of thing. 2 nights in Pattaya AND Ko Samet - why both ? Pick one and stay 3 nights. Arrive Hoi An one afternoon or evening. One full day and then back to the airport for early morning flight to Hanoi to pick up the Halong Bay trip (even if you make it). Mad dash to Halong, then back next day for mad rush round Hanoi. It goes on.....how are you going to do Vang Vieng in one day ? It takes all day to get there from LP. No tubing for you - just the bus trip.

My advice is take AT LEAST 5 places out of your itinerary - probably a whole country and save it for another time.

#7 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 19:01

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, you've still got 5 days to play with off the revised schedule, but I do ultimately agree with Rasheeed and Nokka - however, I can also understand that you want to see a lot. There is a common thread here between taking a quick trip to see a lot and get a feel for what is out there and going to get a depper feel for a place. As it sounds like you really want to get a sense of what is on offer - you probably don't want to ditch an entire country, but I think the advice about not taking it too fast is advisable.

As for your budget - the flight from LP to Chiang Mai is around 160 USD via Lao Airlines, I'm not sure how much the other flights cost - but that would make 250 too low no matter.

#8 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 days in south east asia, where to go? ... By Viron on 3 Jan 2014 36 4495 10 Jan 2014
going south east asia in 20 days need itinery help ... By morse96 on 11 Dec 2011 6 2634 18 Dec 2011
South East Asia Itinerary ... By amringro on 17 Nov 2013 1 637 19 Nov 2013
South East Asia - Itinerary Feedback ... By cgamon on 1 Jan 2014 6 1327 2 Jan 2014
Travel Itinerary for South East Asia ... By kyleladlol on 21 May 2013 1 923 21 May 2013
South East Asia- Itinerary Thoughts? ... By cgamon on 28 Jan 2014 3 1340 29 Jan 2014
Help me with South East Asia Travel Itinerary ... By charms204 on 30 Jun 2013 5 1316 1 Jul 2013
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15669 12 Feb 2012
66 days in Sth east asia - including Burma: please feel free to fine tune this hectic itinerary ... By johnno on 7 Jun 2010 3 2420 7 Jun 2010
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1405 11 Nov 2012