Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Check and scenic suggestion

• Dpullman

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Hi all,

This website is turning out to be a great resource. My Wife and i ( late 20s) are planning a 21 night trip to SE Asia in Late June/July. It will be our first time to Asia. You can classify us as "Flashpackers." We are primarily interested in Nature, scenery, temples, food, culture and craft shopping. We are not partyiers We are basically looking for a Highlight tour of the region since we are not sure if we will be able to go back in the near future. So far, we are looking to do an open jaw into BKK and out of REP. We also plan to get the discovery pass for most of our travel. We are thinking:
    4 nights BKK
    4 nights Ko Samui / Ko Phangan
    4 nights Chiang Mai
    3 nights Luang Prabang
    3 nights Siem Rep

This leaves 3 additional nights. We are trying to figure out the best place for this that fits into the above. My wife and i want to use the nights to relax and get out of the city's and see some nature! We are basically looking for a place with great scenery, maybe some day trekking through the jungle, and some hammock time. Hot water is a must, as are comfortable beds. We have a few ideas of places that interest us, but are curious as to what the experts things would be good. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

We are basically looking for a place with great scenery, maybe some day trekking through the jungle, and some hammock time. Hot water is a must, as are comfortable beds.

Nong Khiaw scenery check, trekking check, hammock time double check.
    ~3h by road or a day's boat ride (scenic, but boats are small & seats = wooden planks - bring your own cushions) from Luang Prabang.

Nong Kiau Riverside Bungalows might fit the bill? not stayed there myself (beyond my budget) but it's where those who need hot water & comfy beds in Nong Khiaw go to, & they have their loyal guests.

think the dates for Asalha Puja & Khao Phansa this year are around 15th & 16th July. not really worth scheduling your trip around these dates, but if you happen to be anywhere in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia on those dates, there will be a little more than usual amount of activity at the local temples - ask locals for details.

if you are in Chiangmai over a weekend then you could go to the Saturday evening 'walking street' along Wualai Rd (& visit the 'silver temple' Wat Srisuphan there) + the Sunday evening 'walking street' along Ratchadamnoen Rd (& see Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Phan Tao & Wat Phra Singh lit up at night - beautiful). 'walking street' = entire street closed to vehicle traffic & lined with stalls selling crafts & food. far better than the night bazaar.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 09:58

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

My wife and I stayed at Nong Khiaw Riverside. Nice views over the river and bridge from the balcony, large rooms, nice big comfy beds. It was nice enough, though could possibly have been a bit cleaner and the Management weren't the best or friendliest we came across in Laos. Nong Khiaw itself though is fantastic and should suit what you are looking for.

Another thought may be Chiang Dao Nest - not too far from Chiang Mai. Fabulous bungalow operation, great value, great food. Can organise treks - we also took out bikes, and walked and went to temples and went to the caves. It's a few miles from Chiang Dao in the middle of the countryside - lovely.

#3 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 16:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suggestion for Myanmar itinerary ... By ssgal on 9 Aug 2014 6 752 10 Sep 2014
Itinerary suggestion for 2 weeks in North Laos ... By Mopop on 8 Sep 2008 2 3299 10 Sep 2008