Southeast Asia forum

Flashpacker Budget per day

• MamaH

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, I'm travelling to SE Asia this summer for 6 weeks and am having palpatations trying to work out costs! I want to stay in decent accommodation (clean and not shared) but not necessarily hotel quality as its just a bed for the night after all. Also, because of time contraints vs how much I want to see, I'm flying a few legs of the journey. Basically I'm wondering what a decent 'flashpacker' budget should be per day all in (i.e. accommodation, travelspending money etc). That should give me some idea to go on. Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 18:28

• Advertisement

• micka24

Joined Travelfish
    22nd July, 2010

Hey mamaH
    We're just at the end of our 3 month trip and have been flashpacking and backpacking. We have found that most of the time it depends where you are eg. bkk we thought was twice as expensive than chaing mai . We are a couple and we spend anywhere between 40-80 between us a day when flashpacking (staying in a private room usually with hot water and eating at nice enough restraunts) Its really easy to save or spend more. The big difference for us is if we are buying presents etc...
    hope it helps!!!

#2 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 20:52

• bwhite13

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

I am currently planning a similar trip and will be leaving for Bangkok in May and have already booked flights. I will be spending 88 days travelling with a friend around Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam and Cambodia. Most of the travelling will be on Bus however I will obviously have to travel by plane on one or two of the legs. I have budgeted £4,000 for the entire 3 months including all flights, i have already paid for my London - Bangkok flight which came to £596 leaving me with around £3400.

I am trying to budget as realistically as possible and was interested to see if any of you could offer any advice and tell me whether this is a reasonable budget to work from for the 3 month trip.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ben.

#3 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 02:46

• marky88

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2010

Micka 24 can i Just ask what the 40-80 a day is? Is that US dollar?

#4 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 07:07

• marky88

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2010

#5 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 07:09

• marky88

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2010

#6 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 07:10

• marky88

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2010

#7 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 07:10

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

These sort of questions are really difficult to answer as obviously everyone may define 'flashpacking' differently. Also, it will depend how long you stay in each country, how much you travel around, how many flights you take, whether you sometimes treat yourself, whether you go on trips, how much and what you drink. The list goes on.

I would say my wife and I are flashpackers - we stayed in SEA for 4 months last year. We spent 8 days in Hong Kong in good hotels, which whacks the price up, we would sometimes stay in more expensive places in other places too. We took quite a lot of flights, ate very well, took trips, did whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. However, other times we settled in a place for a few days and costs would fall dramatically. We sometimes could spend less than £40 between us in a day, but that could equally go up to well over £100 some days. I reckon that bwhite's budget of approx £72 per day for 2 people would be fine for a flashpacker ( as long as you're not being too flash) - I'm sure its possible on less, though, but a few of those flights and other luxuries and it can easily spiral.

One other thing is our beloved currency has weakened against, well, everything really since we travelled, so costs may be that bit more than for other recent British travellers.

#8 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 19:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

All good points by Nokka.

You can easily get by on $ 60-$70 per day but I wouldn't call that flashpacking (but who cares about definitions). With a budget like that you stay in simple but clean, private (bath)rooms which are typically $10-15. It's the type of room I stay in when I travel for work'to keep costs down. However, its not the type of room where you retreat into to read a book for an hour or so. Given OP's comment about using the room only for sleeping that budget could work.

When I travel for pleasure I consider myself flashpacker and I stay in $ 30-70 rooms. Nice and comfortable enough rooms to spend some time in when I'm done doing backpacker-activities. Must say that nowadays my travels are far shorter and more like holidays. Obviously your daily budget needs to be higher when considering that sort of rooms.

#9 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 19:52

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I usually do $20 for the room $10-20 for food (some days you WILL want to dine nice), and extra $10 for beer or extra food like snacks at the shops, $10 if I rent a motorbike, and another $20 for whatever. That is minus Singapore or a more expensive spot like that. But if you build in extra into your budget, on the days you don't use the extra $20 you will be happy when you decide to do something unplanned. UNPLANNED!!! Remember that. That is what ALL of us experienced SEA heads enjoy a lot. But try to decide certain things in advance if you want to dive etc. It will already be in your budget.

#10 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 17:55

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.