Southeast Asia forum

VANG VIANG TO CHIANG MAI

• B3ANO

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Hi,

I need to get to Chiang Mai from Vangviang,
    I dont really have time to be on a bus for 12 hours+
    is NOK air way a reliable source? there flights dont seem to be too bad...
    it seems going from Laos (Vangviang) is hard to get to chiang mai?????
    not alot of info really about it other than the dodgey buses that are very time consuming...
    if i had a week extra up my sleeve id be more than happy for bus but this is not that case.
    I understand Vang Viang is sort of in the middle of no where so will have to most likely back track to Vientiane which I have no issue with... just want the quickest yet not 500 odd american dollars worth of flights. im on a budget also! probably asking for a miracle but if any of use have some info please let me no heading there very shortly so asap would be much apreciated!

Thanks

Will

#1 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 15:06

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The fastest way from Vang Vieng to Chiang Mai without flying is first a bus or minivan to Vientiane 3-4hrs, then to the Friendship Bridge. Then from Nong Khai on the Thai side get any bus/sonthaew to Udon Thani 1hr, then an overnight bus to Chiang Mai (800km, 11hrs). It's a hassle but such is life traveling in/out of Laos without flying.

So on that note, since there's no functioning airport at Vang Vieng (the disused airstrip is more like a carpark and mok market these days) you can bus/van up to Luang Prabang or down to Vientiane and fly with Lao Airlines to Chiang Mai. The flight costs over $200 but travel agents can do it cheaper than the website price. Nok Air also usually have an Udon - Chiang Mai flight for about 2500 baht/USD$85. That routing has been sporadic but looks like it's running currently.

#2 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 00:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The Well Beaten Path - Vientiane, Vang Viang, Louang Phabang ... By hooloovoo on 1 Dec 2007 6 5570 6 Dec 2007
Viang Yonok is heaven in Chiang Rai ... By karenr on 15 Sep 2007 1 2420 25 Aug 2010