Southeast Asia forum

Mastercard in Asia

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Am heading to asia in a few months and plan on using my mastercard which will be loaded with money from my current account via online banking(small amounts and then withdrawn).

I would like to know what countries in asia I'll have trouble withdrawing money from using my credit card?

My bank in Ireland has informed me that I'll only pay 1.75% of the withdrawal fee if I use the mastercard that has money in credit. Pretty good?

#1 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 21:15

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The only country in Asia I've been to where there were *zero* ATMs is Myanmar. In Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. you'll find international ATMs in the major cities and the touristy towns. You just need to plan ahead and stock up on money if you're heading to a remote area.

I don't really understand your explanation about your withdrawal fees... Do you mean they'll only charge you 1.5% for international currency transactions?

#2 Posted: 6/2/2011 - 21:53

• chicoelnino

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

1.75% is all I'll be charged for withdrawing.

So If I took out €500 I'd be charged €8.75 from the bank. I know local ATM fees also apply.

But only 1.75% the bank will charge me.

#3 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 00:47

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

OK, thanks for clarifying.

It's not the best rate I've ever heard of, but pretty good if you want to frequently take out small amounts of money.

#4 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 16:22

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If you're talking about making credit card purchases the going commission in Thailand for Mastercard is 4% (Visa 3%)

#5 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 00:31

• chicoelnino

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

What do you mean the going rate is 4% for mastercard?

My bank will only be charging me 1.75% on any ATM withdrawals. And theres also a 150bath local ATM fee on top of that per transaction.

I don't understand what you mean by commission?

#6 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 04:21

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I mean if you use the card to make purchases (not using an ATM to withdraw cash) the seller will charge you an extra 4% for Mastercard (the card company charges this to the seller and they typically pass that cost onto you). Always better to pay in cash, just wanted to let you know.

#7 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 14:18

• chicoelnino

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Thanks for that info Bob.............never knew that at all! 4% on top :O thats really really steep!

Well I hadn't planned on using the cc as a point of sale facility. I'll only be doing as you said and withdrawing cash from ATM's over there.

Thanks again :)

#8 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 22:11

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would suggest that you use an ATM card rather than Credit Card. Carry your credit card as emergency back up, and for booking things online, but use ATM for cash.

My bank (NZ) charges 1.1% for ATM withdrawals, so it would pay to shop around. (Mind you, maybe that is just standard rate in NZ?)

Also - be aware that in Thailand you will also be paying an adidtion 150baht for EACH withdrawal. It's a charge from the Thai banks in addition to the % that you will pay your own bank. (Only happens in Thailand as far as I know). So it pays to pull as much cash out as you can each transaction.

#9 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 02:28

• chicoelnino

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

@busylizzy: My bank will only charge me 1.75% on the withdrawal amount, whereas if i use my bank/ATM card they will charge me 2.75% PLUS 1.5% cross border handling fee. So as you can see, using the credit card to withdraw cash is best for me. I'm from Ireland by the way.

So you reckon that its only in Thailand that your charged a withdrawal fee from ATM's?

If so then thats great news, as I thought it was going to be a case of every country charging you a local ATM fee.

#10 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 02:49

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Since you are definitely coming to Banlung, Cambodia, I just wanted to throw it out there that the ATM here only takes Visa.

'sheeed

#11 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 08:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.