Southeast Asia forum

Advice for a 3 week trip

• MrAndMrsA

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011

Hi there newbie here. Advance apologies for asking questions which no doubt you have heard many times before. I did try searching, but alas, still confused so think some personalised advice may be in order!

We have the option spending a couple of weeks in SE Asia in June this year. As part of our whistlestop round the world trip we arrive in Bangkok on the 13th June and leave on the 3rd July from Singapore. I need to fill the time in between.

We're not really backpackers neither can we splurge this time round as it is an RTW. We have been to Malaysia before for our honeymoon and stayed in KL and Langkawi which we loved. We also have been to Thailand- Bangkok, Koh Samui and Koh Phangnan- we got back 3 months ago and loved Phangnan but not so much Samui being non drinkers and party goers.

We keep going round and round and not coming up with anything. Ideally we'd have a lot more time but it isn't really possible with the jobs we are in/family circumstances.

We thought about Indonesia and Malaysia. We definitely want to fit in Bali and are flexible on the rest. Air Asia have stop jaw dropping-ly cheap promo fares at the mo for domestic flights within Malaysia. Seems silly not to utilise those?

I was thinking BKK couple of nights, flight to KL, KL few nights, Cameron highlands/Taman Negara (is that suitable for a pregnant person?), Redang/Perhentian/Tioman/All islands? Possible?

We're not really travellers as much as holiday-ers I am ashamed to say.

Any ideas and thoughts would be welcome. Sorry if I haven't really made a lot of sense.

#1 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"We're not really travellers as much as holiday-ers I am ashamed to say."

Why are you ashamed? Nothing wrong with wanting to spend your down time chilling out. Nothing special about being a "Traveller".

#2 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 00:53

• MrAndMrsA

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011

:) i have friends who are hardcore backpackers. suppose i have always felt a tad guilty that my hubby and i would never make one of those. i love the idea in principle but love my home comforts far too much.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 01:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Backpacking and "travelling" is over-rated. It's fine if that's what you want to do. But it's not some sort of quest in which those who perform it are raised in social esteem or become better people. It's just a different way to spend your holiday. So don't feel guilty. Your friends do it their way, for their own motivations, and you do it your way. They aren't any better than you. And if they are sanctimonious about it, they are worse than you.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 02:27

• husker

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011

Here are some places that I've visited but not mentioned and the number of full days to really make the best of each locale. In Thailand two you didn't mention were Chiang Mai (4 days) and Krabi (2 days), they are far apart but each is wonderful for outdoor activities. For Indonesia I have only visited Lombok island (3 days) and found it to be exactly what I was looking for in a vacation at that time. Lombok is very close to Bali and from what I read beforehand it's the tame and a much less commercial version of Bali. In Malaysia, Langkawi island (5 days) is great and can be reached by many airlines or ferry. Tioman island (2 days) is very small but nice and quiet. Would not recommend Penang island (3 days) it's crowded, dirty and polluted. Although others might have a very different opinion. Keep in mind with some of the smaller islands in Malaysia if you plan to fly only berjaya airlines will get you there and you will need to check the timetable beforehand. Also they fly out of the older airports in KL and Singapore so allow time if you are switching between airports.
    There are a lot of places to go that I haven't been to yet but would like to one day. Hope this helps you.
    One note on the backpacker crowd, it's great to see folks out there enjoying themselves if that is what they really want to do and truly enjoy but it is not for everyone. I have come across many backpackers and we always have pleasant conversions but there is a age difference between us. When I was their age it wasn't possible due to income and having to work. But now that hard work has paid off and I can travel on my own dollar and not ask for help which some of the backpackers have been known to do. So they can take the back trails hiking to Macchu Picchu and I'll take the bus but for me the experience will still be the same.
    Good Luck

#5 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 12:59

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You travel, your a traveller. Mac is spot on. No interest in seeing AngkorgWat? Too far along for a lot of walking?

#6 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 18:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Some general advice for 1-2 week trip ... By galois on 29 Apr 2012 4 1435 2 May 2012
3-4 week trip - first timer advice needed! ... By Katie2952 on 10 Mar 2014 5 1360 21 Apr 2014
Advice for 4 week trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand ... By kelpeta on 19 Jul 2007 2 3116 25 Jul 2007
Planning 2 week backpacking trip - Advice appreciated ... By casey_r19 on 27 Mar 2013 27 6170 11 Apr 2013
Itinery advice for 'less-orthodox' 6 week BKK - BKK round trip in Aug/Sept ... By jonq1987 on 12 Apr 2012 8 1440 13 Apr 2012
need advice on routing for 8-week trip Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodja ... By Seba on 28 Apr 2009 5 3811 2 May 2009
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5312 1 Dec 2009