Southeast Asia forum

Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!!

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Hi Guys,

Me and my girlfriend are flying to bangkok at the start of August 2011 where we intend on spending 3 and 1/2 months in SE Asia. We were advised by a travel agent that it would be best to travel the above route clockwise and so we are arriving in bangkok on 7th August and working in that order. We will be flying from Singapore to Oz in the middle of November. does this initial plan sound good??

Ive read alot of the posts and to be honest we are not all that familiar with a lot of the places that are mentioned,as they are quite detailed!! Has anyone any suggestions on a rough guideline route to cover these countries..ending in singapore ??? has anyone done this route before??

Were simply looking to plan a rough route which covers the main intresting sites along the way and approx how long to spend in each country.... and then maybe we can start to reasearch in more detail around this

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give

#1 Posted: 12/2/2011 - 21:05

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think your best plan of attack is start looking through the 'suggested' itinerary sections of this website. (Click on Planning button/link at the top, and then on the 'Where to go' link.)
    Or click here: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/ All the info that you are asking for can be found there, as a starting point.

This will give you some basic suggestions and from there you can start researching into specific areas. I know it can all be overwhelming at first, especially when dealing with place names that you don't recognise. As you find areas that interest you, then start looking up those areas in the forum for more anecdotal opinions and views about that area.

As a high-level indication, your 'clock-wise' plan makes sense. But it's potentially a lot to cover in 3.5 months, so I would be prepared to grab a few flights along the way to reduce some of the travel time for the long distances. One lesson that many of us have learned: do not underestimate the travel distances between cities! Yes, it may look like 100km on a map but because of road conditions, it could take you 4-6 hours to travel that by bus than the expected 1-2 hours! My general rule is to not spend more than 6 hours on a bus. I'll either fly or break it up. The exception may be if it is an overnight train/bus where I can try to sleep.

#2 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 04:18

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

cheers for directing me to that link, its exactly what i was looking for!! it is a bit overwhelming and hard to get the head around but im sure once i research more il understand possible routes more
    some good advice... i agree that we may need to use some flights along the way.. although we will be trying to keep costs down so wel just have to see how things go

#3 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 00:39

• peejglynn

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

Hi Kgroarke,

Myself and the girlfriend are thinking of doing a very similar trip but over 2 months around the same time as you. We also intend to end the trip in SE Asia in singapore and fly to Oz then. We both were in Thailand so might cut that that out a good bit. Im looking at flying into BKK and get a connecting flight to chiang mai and start from there basically. Maybe work across to Hanoi into through Laos then all the way down through Vietnam and Cambodia. Let me know how you get on with your itinerary, id be intersted in seeing it as I am also a little overwhelmed!! thanks

#4 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 05:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia in 3 months? help! ... By chaplins1980 on 2 Aug 2012 1 1524 2 Aug 2012
Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip? ... By estelle8 on 3 Aug 2010 3 7943 15 Aug 2010
What is the best route and best deal from Manila to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 1 2798 16 Feb 2009
What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 10 14494 29 Aug 2010
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 3727 15 Jun 2013
5 months Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam and.... ... By DicoR on 28 Aug 2014 1 447 29 Aug 2014
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - 3 months ... By rossco on 25 Jul 2011 0 2960 25 Jul 2011
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 6220 1 Aug 2011
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9733 25 Nov 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 3 Months - Starting October 10 ... By chatz on 29 Aug 2009 15 5104 21 Jun 2010