Southeast Asia forum

Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam

• Manners

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011

Hi, I am a 23 year old female from the UK travelling alone to SEAsia in March. Doing the Roam Cambodia Vietnam tour and feeling pretty paranoid about it. I have heard that I will have an amazing time which I am sure I will but for a first time traveller it's all pretty daunting. Anyone have any advise for me - or anyone travelling around that time?

I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

#1 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 05:26

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Transportation is easier to arrange than you think - so long as you can find the bus station - that's a great word to learn in the local language. In fact, make sure to bring a good phrasebook as if you're traveling alone that may be the only thing that stops you from feeling very isolated - even a phrasebook conversation can make what would be a boring night a blast.

Otherwise, don't worry too much about the language because there is usually someone around that will speak some English and can help you out if you're having trouble communicating.

And remember - there are a lot of people doing the same thing as you - its very likely that you'll meet a fellow traveler on the bus/tuk-tuk/boat/hostel lobby and you'll hit it off and spend the next days traveling the same route. Keep your schedule open and you'll be more likely to have a good time.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 08:57

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Is "Roam" some kind of specialized tour?

#3 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 18:46

• Manners

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011

Yeh, the name of the tour is called 'Roam Cambodia Vietnam' I booked it through STA and I think the tour is through Gap Adventures. It's a 20 day trip from Bangkok to Hanoi.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2011 - 02:59

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

So How is it going? Let us know!

#5 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 07:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.