Southeast Asia forum

Planning for South East Asian travel

• Atomic440

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011

Hey everyone,
    I'm planning to head out to South-East Asia from Japan in a week or so.
    Me and two friends will be flying to Singapore, then plan to take the train for most of our travel before flying back to Singapore from Penang then on back to Japan. Our trip will last around 3 weeks.
    Our main stop-offs will be at Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Bangkok - with perhaps a visit to Phuket or Koh Samui before Bangkok but we are as yet undecided.

I just want to know what to expect as we're going into this quite blindly (be that stupid or not). We're kind of a party crowd and will be doing a few nights of partying in each place.

Main concern is accommodation. We won't really be booking in advance and wondered if that is a wise idea. Will it be easy enough to find places to stay once we arrive in each place? Are some places harder than others to find accommodation as you arrive? We're on a budget and would preferably like to stay in cheaper places - perhaps hostels or low-budget (but generally safe) hotels. If anyone could recommend certain places that they have been to, that would be really great!

And how much would we be expected to spend per day in each place. Most days food and some sight-seeing will be our main priorities but as I've said before, we're kind of a party crowd. How much is a night out in each city? And are there places to go that you've enjoyed that our relatively inexpensive? Also if there are places we should definitely avoid, by all means let me know.

Sorry for the plethora of questions but with this last minute decision to go and travel, we haven't really been all that practical in our arrangements. Adventurous but maybe stupid? =P

Thanks for any questions you can help us with. ^^

#1 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 20:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South East Asian Airlines - Best Flight Deals ... By CaptainPlatypus on 24 Jan 2011 4 3173 25 Jan 2011
South East Asian Airlines - Best flight deals. ... By CaptainPlatypus on 24 Jan 2011 3 5350 27 Jan 2011
Planning a trip to South East Asia...Would like advise on things to do and see ... By thatscottishlad on 4 Nov 2013 5 1760 6 Nov 2013
South east asia travel ... By journeyingasia on 7 Mar 2012 2 2298 9 Mar 2012
Travel Itinerary for South East Asia ... By kyleladlol on 21 May 2013 1 964 21 May 2013
Help me with South East Asia Travel Itinerary ... By charms204 on 30 Jun 2013 5 1434 1 Jul 2013
Travel South East Asia - Advice please ... By leannezoe on 4 Oct 2014 3 462 6 Oct 2014
South East Asia travel tours ... By subs17 on 5 Aug 2013 3 861 22 Aug 2013
Planning a trip to Australia for 2015 AFC Asian Cup ... By andybellstroke on 17 Dec 2014 0 111 17 Dec 2014
East Asian Road and Ban Naa Cottages ... By Jarawee on 20 Sep 2007 0 3074 20 Sep 2007