Southeast Asia forum

Opening a Bank Account

• Moonbear

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2011

Hi,

I am currently living in Malaysia, but I plan on leaving in a month. Before I leave, I want to do a two month trip in SE Asia. I plan to travel some in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

I am wondering if there is a bank that I could open an account in that has branches throughout SE Asia. I would like to be able to transfer the money I have earned while living in Malaysia to an account in a bank that is more widely available in SE Asia. I currently have an account at Public Bank because my employer originally helped me open an account with them. But they are local and do not have branches outside Malaysia and Singapore.

Any suggestions? I have heard that ANZ is an option but I don't believe they have any branches in Malaysia. Please correct me if I am wrong.

#1 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 14:13

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

The two banks that I can think of with a wide Asian network are Standard Chartered and Hong Kong Shanghai Bank.

#2 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 07:23

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Those banks do not have a big presence in Cambodia and Vietnam.
    ANZ would remain your best bet. If they don't have a branch in Malaysia then you could consider opening one after arrival. I thought only requirement is that you can't overdraw and have to leave a minimum amount of $50 in the account. That would be your only loss.

Depending on how long you stay in the region you could easily "earn" that $50 because of lower/no atm fees.

#3 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 09:13

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Allow me to clarify what I meant. StanChar and HKSB have an office in almost all Asian countries.

#4 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 10:14

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi goonistik,

when you say HKSB, are you referring to HSBC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hongkong_and_Shanghai_Banking_Corporation

i'll be in hong kong 1st, would HSBC be the best overall to choose from?

#5 Posted: 20/3/2011 - 21:33

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

He/she probably is referring to HSBC and while they do have an office in many asian countries they don't have one in Cambodia and in the other countries they don't have a wide network of their own ATMs in SE asia. Just a head office (Bangkok & Saigon) for corporate banking where you could withdraw money.
    They do have plans to expand in the consumer market (with ATMs) in SE-asia but currently haven't made any serious work of it.

I don't know what you want to use it for but if it is to withdraw small amounts of money at ATMs HSBC is just as good as any other international bank in terms of availabillity since you would have to use other bank's ATMs (with the attached fees)

#6 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 08:38

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I'm an expat in in Singapore and opened an account with HSBC, thinking it would be a good choice for a bank account to use while traveling internationally. I have to say I've been consistently disappointed with it. They don't have as many international ATMs as I expected (their motto is "the world's local bank") and the withdrawal fee from non-HSBC ATMs is quite high. Even when I do find an HSBC ATM in a foreign country they still charge a withdrawal fee from SGD 4 - 7 to use their own ATMs! The only time I don't pay a fee is when I withdraw in Singapore.

I'd suggest you do some research about CitiBank or ANZ as they have a growing presence across SE Asia. ANZ is even in Laos.

#7 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 12:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
nationwide bank account ... By valis on 27 Sep 2010 4 2520 1 Oct 2010
Thai bank account ... By littletimmy on 29 Sep 2012 2 1516 29 Sep 2012