Southeast Asia forum

Dental care in Southeast Asia (anywhere)

• gottagetaway

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011
    Location United States

For the last several months I've been gearing up for an epic tour of SE Asia (see some of my previously submitted /travel threads).

Since I'm planning to quit my job before I go I've been making sure I have health checkups while I still have insurance. I went to the dentist yesterday, and they tell me that getting six fillings, two root canals and two crowns, will cost me nearly $3000 USD! My first thought was -- "well there goes my trip!"

I'm going to get a second opinion from another local dentist, but, I remember reading that India, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines are fast growing in the medical tourism industry. How can I find out about cost and quality of care in SE Asia, to see if it will be more reasonable than here?

Any personal recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 06:10

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

I can ask a friend to be more certain but all those procedures will not cost $3000 in the Philippines.

If you do go to the Philippines, look for a dentist who graduated from the University of the Philippines College of Dentistry. I have several high school classmates who went there.

I came across this website rxpinoy.com and they have a medical tourism guide.
    They list root canals as costing from $87 to $300.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 07:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Most if not all major hospitals in Thailand have a dental clinic. I've had dental work done in Thailand and the standard of care was quite good while the price, as you've mentioned, was significantly less than in the states. Check the following story for some basic basic information as well as links to a few major Thai hospitals. Cheers.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/63

#3 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 08:23

• gottagetaway

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011
    Location United States

Thanks, I have seen that link, but I was hoping for information on specific doctors, if possible, or at least personal experiences including specifics?

#4 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 09:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

2 years ago I had work done by a dentist in Phnom Penh.Crowns and route canal treatment.The crowns came at $100 each and included the route canal treatment.He is situated back of Soraya Centre PP which you can't miss as it's the only shopping mall near the central market.I've got his number though 023992421.The work was excellent and beats anything I've had done in Europe.
    My wife had a filling in Sihanoukville for $7 and it looks a pretty good job.
    Dental work in Cambodia is good unlike the medical work

#5 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 15:24

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's your answer:
    http://www.gracedentalclinic.com/

#6 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 11:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.