Southeast Asia forum

How does this Sound...?????????!!!!

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

So the plan is..
    3 and a half month trip in total covering....

Cambodia >Vietnam > Laos > Thailand> Malaysia> Singapore...and in that order

(we fly into Bangkok first from the UK and spend 2- 3 days there before making our way to cambodia)

i was advised to do my trip in this order so as to get the heavy treking out of the way in the first half of the trip and then once we have made ourway across to northern thailand,spend more time in thailand covering the beaches down south, full moon partys etc. before ending our trip.

I was also trying to avoid backtracking along the way whilst covering the main areas so hopefully with this route i can...

How Does this following rough route sound ....
    travel east from Cambodia across to southern Vietnam..moving along the coast of vietnam to northern vietnam and then travel west across to Northern Laos.. travel south down through laos and then travel from southern laos west across to Northern Thailand somewhere and then spend time travelling all the way down to southern thailand>malaysia>Singapore. - Any suggestions on filling in the blanks of this outline route with the best routes for travelling through these regions??????

#1 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 04:29

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Remember that if you enter Thailand overland from Laos you'll only get a 15 day visa on arrival - that would put a big crimp in your plans to go from S. Laos all the way up to N. Thailand (a long trek) and then back down to S. Thailand. S. Laos to N. Thailand would not be a short route.

I'd recommend using some of the 30 day visa you get for flying into Thailand and slightly reverse the trip. From BKK go up to N. Thailand first, then go across to N. Laos, explore down to S. Laos and enter Cambodia to Siem Reap and then down to PP. At that point you could go to S. Vietnam (no visa on arrival there) and then work your way up to Hanoi -- fly from Hanoi to BKK and that gets you another 30 day visa on arrival to work your way down the S. of Thailand. It's just one possibility.

Otherwise, maybe cut out S. Laos and from N. Laos (Luang Prabang) fly to Chiang Mai (probably you'll want to do that after you've gone to Vang Vieng and Vientiane and then go back up to LP to fly out, only a short backtrack) - to get that 30 day visa to work your way through Thailand.

You can arrange a better visa situation if you do it in advance from what I've heard, but I have no experience with that.

Either way you'll still be getting a lot of long bus rides and trekking out of the way before you take some time to enjoy the islands in the south of Thailand.

#2 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 09:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

As I always say, contemplate the possibility that there might be more to Cambodia than just Siem Reap and Phnom Penh (the "Dead Cambodians Tour"). Just throwing it out there...

'sheeed

#3 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 08:56

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Thanks caseyprich !!

there both exactly the type of routes i have in mind, i will do a bit more research on what will work best and try to decide.

I am probly more leaning towards the second option of maybe leaving out S Laos because although we have 3.5 months for this trip im not too keen on being on the move constantly and neither will my girlfriend as i know this will be tiring (particularly as its the wet season!!) so cutting out S Laos may help with this and simply fly from LP to Chang Mai as you have suggested.

The reason why im thinking of going anti-clockwise is cause i think at the start of the trip we will both have more energy and enthusiasm etc. to do a lot of the treking and site seeing in places such as Cambodia... vietnam.. might not be the case however...?

Although i have noted that most people do go for a route similar to the one you first suggested..so its a tough decision to make !!!?

however it seems like a lot of travel in the first suggested route to travel down S Laos into Cambodia (get vietnam visa) and then all the way from S. Vietnam to north Vietnam and THEN all the way to BKK...

so may be less time consuming to go with option no. 2, what do you think ???

#4 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 19:29

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For a more leisurely pace I agree that option 2 will work better, it allows you to cut out an entire region so that you can spend more time in the places you are planning to go through.

#5 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 21:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.