Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary - 3months!!

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

I have 12 weeks in SE Asia and want to see as much as possible however am aware that my route is going to be really busy. I dont mind this though as I am then travelling to Australia which I am hoping to take at a slower pace. So far I have thought I may possibly take this route:

Week 1: Thaintro

Week 2: Northern Thailand > Chaing Mai mainly and surrounding areas.

Week 3: Laos

Week 4: Laos

Week 5: North Vietnam > Fly over to Siem Reap Cambodia for a couple of days
    just to see Angkor Wat

Week 6: South-West Thailand (For FMP and meeting a friend)

Week 7:
    South-East Thailand

Week 8:
    Malaysia

Week 9:
    Malaysia/Singapore

Week 10: Bali, Lombok, Gilli Islands and East Timor

Week 11: Bali, Lombok, Gilli Islands and East Timor

Week 12: Bali, Lombok, Gilli Islands and East Timor

I know this is a pretty busy Itinerary but any comments would be appreciated.

Also how long does train travel take out of time?

#1 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 01:24

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I am not really going to tell you where to cut from your trip until you do more research as to your specifics of going from one place to another.

Train travel varies but remember......this is SE Asia. Expect the unexpected. You have to travel to the station, ride the train, then get local transpo to your destination. Some days this is all good. Others, the locals want to price gouge you to get to your exact spot. A 4 hour train ride can become an 7 hour travel day easily if you are not prepared. Get to the station early to sort out any surprises.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 03:30

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out the 'Suggested Itineraries' in the Planning section of this site. There is some good info there (at the bottom of each itinerary page) about travel time between destinations - for buses, trains and flights. This will give you some good ideas - especially about border crossing options.

As a rule of thumb, assume each time you move location, expect to spend a day doing it! Also be aware that when you come back into Thailand overland, you will only get a 14-day visa, not the 30-day one that you get when you arrive at an airport. There are alternatives to this - like multi-entry visas that you can arrange ahead of time.

#3 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 03:56

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

1 week N. Thailand, 2 weeks N. Laos, then 1/2 week N. Vietnam seems to be slighting N. Vietnam a little. If you're going to all the trouble to go to N. Vietnam you don't only want 3/4 nights there - considering visa cost and the transport issues of getting there from N. Laos and getting back away to Siem Reap.

Perhaps it'd be better to cut Vietnam out, fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang , spend a week in LP, Vang Vieng, Vientinne area, then spend a week going down to Southern Laos - Savannakhet, Pakse, Champasake, Si Phon Don, then entering Cambodia overland from Southern Laos to head to Siem Reap. You can take those few nights in N. Vietnam and spread them throughout your time in Laos to take it easier, or add them to travel time from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang so that you can do that part of the journey overland instead of flying.

#4 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 07:55

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Yeah I did not think about Visa costs actually!!

My Laos route is very similar to the itinierary on this website - just staying in northern Laos however.

What would you suggest regarding Vietnam and Cambodia - I have no experience of Asia at all so suggestions on where you would choose would be very much appreciated.

Or shall I take half a week away from Laos and add this to Vietnam/Cambodia??

#5 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:15

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Ps. I have already got my thai visa (triple entry) free-of-charge :) So sorted for that one! Just the rest of them to go!

#6 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Ya, after looking at the itinerary I agree with what I said in the other thread. Stay in Laos for week 5.

'sheeed

#7 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 23:04

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I am different. I say cut a few days of Laos and head to Hanoi, see Ha long Bay, and get an intro to Vietnam. This will put in your mind another trip. I would also take off one of the bali weeks and do a little more in North Vietnam like Sapa. Another question though....? When, as in what part of the year is all this planned?

#8 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 03:50

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

I fly to Bangkok 2nd of June this year...

The only reason I was going to spend 3 weeks in Indonesia is because I know that transport there can be a bit more difficult/slower than other places I am visiting? x

#9 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary 3months Thai/Laos/Yunnan/Viet/Camb ... By charleli on 20 Apr 2012 4 2008 21 Apr 2012