Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam Verses Cambodia?!?

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Hey,

I only have a week designated for either Vietnam OR Cambodia. I will be in Northern Laos for 2 weeks beforehand. Initially, I was planning to do Northern Vietnam for 5 days then fly to Siem Reap for 2days to see Angkor Wat. However, costs included in this, I am not sure whether this is too ambitios.

What would people suggest. Week in Northern Vietnam, Week in Cambodia or trying to do both...??

#1 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:03

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I wouldn't try to do both: 5 days in Vietnam doesn't really give you enough time to do much beyond Hanoi and Ha Long Bay which although great, are maybe not worth the extra expense / time and best saved for another trip. However, if you dedicate your whole week to Northern Vietnam you'd have just about enough time to travel up to the North West or down to Mai Chau area, and then it becomes a great week in my opinion. Plus, if you're in Northern Laos anyway, you could look at travelling overland - depending upon exactly where you are in Northern Laos and how much time you want to spend on a bus!

I can't comment on Cambodia beyond Angkor Wat (amazing of course) and Phnom Penh (had a bad time there for various reasons but I hear it's a cool city) so I won't say whether Northern Vietnam has more to offer. It depends what you're looking for I guess.

But let me plump for something anyway: I personally would go to Cambodia and come back to Vietnam for a longer time (so you can travel south as well) on another occasion if that's an option.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:26

• Jess905

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

Yep I think I will have to choose one over the other... unless you think it is worth spending 1 1/2 weeks in Laos, 1 week in north Vietnam and 1/2 week in Cambodia??

General consensus suggests Vietnam is the place to pick over Cambodia but I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, and I will be closer to Vietnam anyway. Then I can perhaps spend 2/3 weeks doing south Vietnam and Cambodia on my way back from Australia - So difficult to prioritise when they are both so different!!

#3 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:48

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you're coming back that way then yes, it would make sense to cover off the southern bits seperately. You're right - whilst there are some commonalities, each country and area is so different.

If you need any thoughts or advice on Northern Vietnam, let me know.

#4 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:54

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Both are fabulous destinations. However, if I only had a week I would choose Cambodia. That's just enough time to go to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh - whereas northern Vietnam deserves more time than that.

#5 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 20:02

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I wouldn't do either. Stay in Laos. One week is too short.

And those who say one week is fine in Cambodia usually have only done the dead cambodians tour (Angkor and PP). There are many more places to go...

'sheeed

#6 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 23:00

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

I agree with Rasheed. I did Cambodia in little over a week and regretted not spending more time there.

I'd stay longer in Laos and do Cambodia and Nam on your way back from Australia. There is a ton of stuff to do in Laos and its such an awesome/cheap country.

#7 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 20:40

• carly3615

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2011

I've just got back from Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia, and my favourite countries were by far Cambodia and Vietnam.This is a very difficult decision. Vietnam being alot larger is probably best saved for when you have more time as there are alot of places to visit-must sees being Hanoi,Halong Bay down the coast to Hoi An, Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Dalat and then Saigon through to the Mekong Delta and onto Puc quon, it's probably really difficult to do in 7 days, you need longer to really appreciate the diversity of Vietnam.
    I would say go Cambodia,as it's smaller and although loads to do, not as much as Vietnam!
    If you are going to Cambodia, 2 days is ok in Siem Reap- i had one day at Angkor which is enough unless your a real temple buff, then a day riding horseback through Cambodian countryside and a night playing at an orphanage (go to ocoda orphanage, inspirational kids!! ) then onto phnom penh to see the killing fields and s21 (i was there for 2 day/1night but you really only need one day) then to sinoukville (lots of islands off sinoukville- go to koh rong monkey island for a night or two, its better than bamboo island) and if you have time a trip to Kratie to see the irrawaddy dolphins, or to kampor or kep could waste another day or 2!!Remember you have to plan your bus trips into your 7days as these can completely throw off a tight schedule, alot of the time you need to designate that whole day to a bus-finding accommodation-eating etc!!
    Have fun!!!

#8 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 14:29

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Doable if you like being on buses and only getting off a for a few hours before getting back on again. Seems crappy to me.

'sheeed

#9 Posted: 3/4/2011 - 14:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.