Southeast Asia forum

Need help..looking for a perfect beach to relax and write.

• gvaz28

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

Hi,

I understand this is a highly subjective question but it's opinions i'm after so any will be appreciated. I have about 6 weeks to spend in SE Asia and want about 4 of those weeks on a beach. I have a flight booked from Singapore to Krabi and was planning on going to Ko Phi Phi (or perhaps some of the other Thai islands) but given the flooding situation, I am thinking about switching to another option.

I want a beach with good food (basic shack food--think Goa), internet access (enough to check email--though skype would be optimal), white sand and beautiful water. I don't plan on doing any surfing or snorkeling so I don't need that. I am writing my thesis and just need a beautiful location to do it in and the more reasonably priced it is the better! (So I guess not a complete remote hideaway w/o electricity, and also not a party destination).

Looking around on travelfish too many places look good and really anything is doable. Any thoughts on Phu Quoc, any of the malaysian islands, the phillipines or perhaps the Gilli islands?

We have been to Bali and thought it was pretty but were not impressed by the beaches. Other than that we have never been to the Asian islands and are more used to the Caribbean and Hawaii.

I know that it is just a ridiculously broad question but any input will be much appreciated. And also if you think we are silly for giving up our flight to Krabi on the 14th of April let us know! We might be over reacting based on the information we are reading in the paper.

#1 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 00:52

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Given the chance to fly into Krabi, I'd probably do that and search around for a few days until I found the right place. But with the recent floods and traditional rain patterns, I suspect you'll do better on the Gulf of Thailand side for the timeframe you'll be there.

Maybe take a look at something like Ko Tao. The recent reports from Travelfish member Ayesha say that the situation there has cleared up and things are open for business. I imagine if you stay on one of the quieter beaches, you'll get the sand and water you seek while still having access to electricity and internet. Just an idea. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 01:26

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

First off you can find a quiet beach on any island but the white sand most beautiful ones WILL NOT have all you want. Because everyone else wants that too! There are some day trip islands like that with no accommodation or 24 electricity etc....You WILL be a little dissapointed if you are a regular Caribbean traveler. The beaches in SE Asia can't compare overall. The Caribbean is a little richer on most islands and have better laws to protect their environments to bring in the tourists money. The Turks, Caymans, Bahamas, St Croix.....etc etc are way cleaner on a regular basis than SE Asia. I have been a regular to Asia only for 9-10 years but I stay around for the culture I enjoy not just the beaches.
    Check Tezzas site, it may help. There are beautiful pristine beaches...but the majority of those are around or controlled by big hotel operations.

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

#3 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 04:05

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I meant to say the most popular are near big resort spots. There are some pristine beaches but if they are not crowded it is usually for a reason. Not easy to get to or no regular services...etc.

#4 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 04:06

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If you are looking at the Philippines, than Guimaras is an option.

In these island provinces, the seafood is very fresh that simple techniques worl very well.

#5 Posted: 4/4/2011 - 21:55

• gvaz28

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. The more I look through the forum and the posts the more I think I might just chance a flight into Krabi and then head over to Ko Lanta. Looks like the weather is getting better and I sitll have 9 days until my flight. Any thoughts?

#6 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 21:53

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I actually think that a couple of weeks up north will be very relaxing also. Just go to where you are going. It is easy enough to go elsewhere if you are not happy.

#7 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 03:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pickup and food at Relax Beach resort, Phi Phi? ... By Hersir on 6 Jun 2008 2 1860 13 Feb 2010