Southeast Asia forum

Essay on my Route

• jonny_lewis7

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

I know it gets done a lot on here, so apologies for adding another route suggestion, but really I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement or reassurance. This is also the first time I will have written this out to be honest, so it's kind of soothing to get it down in words. So here's my vague probable route:
    Fly into Bangkok on September 4th on a 60 day visa. Now, I'm thinking 60 days is quite a long time, so I'm not really in any rush in Thailand. Saying that, I don't plan on travelling far south of Bangkok, more so heading East/North-East, before ambling across to Chiang Mai and the rest of North Thailand. I figure I'll take it as it comes with 60 days to play with.
    Head into North Laos on a 30 day visa, wing it around the north before heading down to Vientiane, and then downwards into the south, before hopping on into Cambodia.
    Another 30 days in Cambodia, arcing West towards Siem Reap, then East to Phnom Penh. Cambodia is the main mystery really, in that I see it as being the country wherein there will be the least amount of travel, so uncertain about what I'll be doing there until I get there and see what's on offer.
    Head on into Veitnam and straight to Hoi Chi Minh on another 30 day visa before embarking on the long journey north to Ha Noi where my trip will hopefully end in a flight to New Zealand.
    Like I said, just a vague description of my planned route really. If anybody can see any glaring mistakes or has any opinions on differing routes I'd love to hear them. The only question I can think of really would be, would 60 days in Thailand be long enough to head south towards Phuket and that, or would the recommendation be to leave it out and see more of the bulk of Thailand?

Sorry about the long winded essay you just had to endure. A lot of it is just for my piece of mind. Cheers for reading anyway, would love to hear your comments.

#1 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 04:53

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Looks good to me. It's just a rough sketch and you haven't told your interests but certainly feasible and common.
    60 days Thailand seems a lot but plenty of people can't get enough of it and it certainly gives you the opportunity to venture a bit more off the beaten track without missing the highlights.

One thing though
    It may not be in line with your geographical route but I would visit East/N east Thailand at the end of your Thai stay because you will appreciate it better when you've done all the standard things before. If you put it at the start you might rush through it. Even the few words of Thai you pick up in the first month might help a little there.
    You may have to sacrifice a full travel day to get back on route but on 60 days that's manageable.

#2 Posted: 5/4/2011 - 18:44

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I'm psyched about your Cambodia lag. 30 days and no clue what to do. You will have a blast. Explore. It's a wonderful place. Recently have run into a number of 30-60 day cambodia travelers. People very happy they gave themselves more time to learn about this place...

'sheeed

#3 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 10:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.