Southeast Asia forum

4 months in SE Asia and India

• sunnynz

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2011

hi there, arriving Kuala Lumper, then off to india, back to KL then want to visit the following countries: singapore, thailand, laos, cambodia, vietman and possible bali.

can anyone suggest a route for this, KL is both my arrival and departure city.

4 months total travel - beginning Nov to End of Feb, long enough? too many countries?

2 people with budget of $20,000 NZ dollars for both of us (this excludes flights, visas etc). this works out to NZ$190 a day, is this enough???

any help would be great. we are both wanting an adventure and cultural experiance.

thanks

#1 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 10:58

• Advertisement

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

Sounds like an awesome trip. Your budget should be more than enough unless you are planning on staying at upscale hotels and eating at expensive restaurants. Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and especially Laos are very inexpensive.

Is this 4 months traveling including India? if so it might be a few too many countries. Better to cut down and enjoy more time in fewer countries. Allows time to relax in places you might stumble onto or take that one extra day on a Thai island. Maybe cut Bali? Indonesia is an awesome country deserving of its own trip in the future.

Flight from KL or Singapore to almost all of these countries are pretty cheap thanks to Air Asia. For example Singapore to Bali is usually around 25 US dollars.

#2 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 14:01

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

I would most definitely leave India for another trip if you wish to experience much outside of the "golden triangle", Agra-Jaipur-Delhi route. India is a HUGE country. I recently returned from three months there and only saw such a small portion of places. This amount of time only just gave me a chance to see some of the north, Rajasthan and a tiny bit of the south. If you have some certain sites you wish to witness such as the Taj Mahal, then go for it, but I wouldn't expect to learn a lot about the culture in such a short time, especially considering that it varies so incredibly much from state to state. It really depends on your intention for visiting India I guess. If you still intend to go, don't make the mistake of trying to do too much. I met some people who were travelling from Goa all the way up to Nepal in a matter of weeks, including veering off to Varanasi and other out of the way places.

I guess everyone's travel style is different but you'd hate to fall in love with a place and realise it was already time to leave! If I were you, I'd cut it down to four countries and do a month in each.

If you do still plan to visit India as well, plan your route carefully and don't make the mistake of being overly ambitious. This applies for traveling anywhere of course. Many people feel as though they won't be getting the most out of their travels if they don't make it to every iconic site, however once it's all said and done, many find that it's the opposite.

Happy travels :)

#3 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 16:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ahh....so overwhelmed. 4 months in SE Asia/India ... By melmariet on 10 Apr 2009 2 3648 11 Apr 2009