Southeast Asia forum

Rough Six Month Itenerary: Thoughts, advice?

• kbs84

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2011

I'm a 26 year old from Austin, Tx who is a little sick of the 8-5 cubicle life. I'm planning to get out of here mid-july with hopefully about 15k usd for a 6 month trip. This will be my first time taking a major solo trip so any advice is appreciated. Here is what I'm thinking right now:

Maui, Hawaii- 3 weeks where I will stay with a friend
    china- 6 weeks, shanghai, yangshuo, dali
    Hanoi and Halong- 2 weeks
    Hoi An/ Hue- 1 week
    Nha Trang- 1 week
    Ho Chi Minh City- 2 weeks
    Cambodia Phnom Pehn/Siem Reap- 1 week
    Bangkok- 1 week
    Vientiane- 1 week
    Luang Prabang- 2 weeks
    Chiang Mai - 2 weeks
    Phuket/Thai Islands- 2 weeks
    Ubud/ Kuta- 2 weeks

For the most part I just want to relax and experience as much as possible. I like to have a good time but I'm not too picky, so I figure I should double most of the budget number I see. I've done a fair amount of research so I feel that I have a good idea of where I want to go.

At $50 a day, 1k for travel, 3k for flights, and 2k for miscellaneous(visas, insurance, vaccines, etc.), I figure I should be comfortable for a nice 6 month adventure. With all of the knowledgeable and experienced travellers on this board, does this plan look ok? Do you see anything unreasonable here? Any suggestions or advice that could be helpful?

Thanks,
    Keith from Austin

#1 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 01:52

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I like the pacing. Nice and slow.

The only thing I got is if you don't want to go to Cambodia, no biggie. I think it's awesome. If you are going to spend only 1 week, pace it like the rest of your trip. Spend it all in the Siem Reap area. Don't start rushing just to see PP. Or spend 2 weeks or more...

And the Bangkok-Vientiane-LP-CM-Southern Thai section seems funky. Why not go into Lao through Cambodia and catch bangkok on the way down? I know that would mean more time in Cambodia. Sorry to make you do it...

'sheeed

#2 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 11:15

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Yeah I was a little surprised at the Bkk placing but the trip looks fine. You money seems good. You will know after you are on the ground. Hawaii and Shanghai are gonna be where you need to watch your cash.....

#3 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 12:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would do it differently, moving slowly from smaller cities and towns and covering FAR fewer countries. But I'm not you.

#4 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 18:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 month trip - rough route advice needed ! ... By nickolt on 28 Oct 2010 7 3083 6 Nov 2010
Angkor Itenerary Thoughts ... By brandonc2012 on 8 Jun 2012 8 2720 25 Jun 2012
1 month rough itinerary, what am I missing? ... By whardy on 10 Feb 2012 3 1488 11 Feb 2012
Itenerary advice ... By Goatboy22382 on 30 Mar 2012 8 1496 18 Apr 2012
Northern Thailand and Laos: itenerary advice ... By bellatrx on 6 Oct 2009 1 2113 6 Oct 2009
very rough itenary...advice infinitely appreciated! ... By andrea13 on 17 Jun 2011 3 1977 17 Jun 2011
7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks! ... By CoolOperator on 19 Jul 2014 2 385 19 Jul 2014