Southeast Asia forum

Itenerary - 8 Week Trip

• cs321

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

Hi All,

Im planning about a trip for about 8 weeks to South East Asia, We are flying into Bangkok the end of July and plan to make our way north to Chiang Mai, across through Laos, down through Vietnam and then to the Thai islands for the duration. I have decided to leave out Cambodia as felt we were trying to do too much in such a short space of time and woud rather return in the future to see more of South East Asia then rushing the holiday and fitting everything in. Also we have decided to take some internal flights as we have the budget for it. Any advice on the itenerary I have made out and is it achieveable? The reason I have picked the east coast of Thailand is because the weather might be better at that time of year. Also we have our flight booked for July to arive but have no return flight or internal flights booked yet. The dates below show the nights spent in each city. Thanks.

July 27th, 28th, 29th --> Bangkok
    July 30th -->Overnight Train
    August 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th -->Chiang Mai
    August 5th -->Chiang Rai
    August 6th -->Huay Xai
    August 7th --> Pakbeng (slow boat stop)
    August 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th --> Luang Prabang
    August 12th, 13th, 14th --> Vang Vieng
    August 15th, 16th --> Vientianne (Fly to Hanoi )
    August 17th , 18th, 19th --> Hanoi
    August 20th, 21st, 22nd --> Halong Bay
    August 23rd, 24th --> Hue (Fly here from Hanoi)
    August 25th, 26th --> Da Nang (Bus to here)
    August 27th, 28th --> Hoi An (Train to here)
    August 29th --> Overnight Bus
    August 30th, 31st, 1st--> Nha Trang
    September 2nd, 3rd, 4th --> Da Lat
    September 4th, 5th, 6th --> HCMC (Bus from Da Lat)
    September 7th-->Bangkok (Fly here from HCMC)
    September 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th --> Koh Samui (Train to Surat Thani and Ferry to Koh samui)September 12th, 13th, 14th --> Koh Phangnan (Ferry from koh Samui)
    September 15th --> Koh Tao (Ferry)
    Septemner 16th --> Chumphon
    September 17th --> Flight from bangkok (flexible as not yet booked)

#1 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 16:57

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi - I think it's probably doable, although you're still moving at a decent pace. Each of your bustrips in Vietnam and Laos will consume most of a day, so be sure to allow for that in your planning.

I would suggest that you might prefer to skip Danang as a place to stay, and just add the nights on to Hoi An . They're only about 20-30min apart, and you can do a day trip to get back there. But honestly, I didn't think there was much to see (unless I missed it!). Hoi An is much more interesting, and it will be one less day of packing up and wasting time to find somewhere to stay.

Hue was OK, but given your tight schedule you may or may not want to go there. I would suggest that you don't book the flight until much closer to the time (I booked the flight 1-2 days in advance). In that way, you can decide whether to go to Hue, or skip it and go straight to Danang/Hoi An - and keep your options open.
    Save a bit of time and fly direct to Koh Samui if you can afford it.

#2 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 18:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 Week Itenerary in South East Asia ... By giguerj on 6 May 2013 4 1591 6 May 2013