Southeast Asia forum

Singapore or Kuala Lumpur

• konnan101

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2011

So I am flying from Tokyo to Chiang Mai, and stopping at either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for two nights on my way there (have to make a connection). I would like some opinions on which one of these two you would rather spend a few nights nights in.

#1 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 06:56

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I just came back from a long working weekend in KL and had a great time. Stayed at one of the many little boutique guesthouses they have in the Bukit Bingtang. I think for only two nights you could find the place nice - check out the Batu Caves and China Town - walk around the food spots. A lot of great food to be had in KL, and I thought the people were really friendly and diverse compared to what is happening around Shanghai these days.

I've never been to Singapore, but haven't had much of a pull to visit there - when described by friends who have it has always sounded a lot more sterile and thrumming with people who have places to go and people to see - more of a work atmosphere. That said, it isn't a short or cheap trip from the airport to KL center, so if Singapore has a more convenient airport that may be where you want to stop.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2011 - 07:33

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I wouldn't necessarily agree with moer2237 that Singapore is smaller and easier to cover.

Anyway, these two spots have some similarities and also some striking differences.

In common is the split into Little India, Chinatown etc (which I guess is common in a lot of Asian cities) and also the great food options.

Singapore is more expensive however and possibly a little less of a "real" SE Asian vibe as it resembles downtown Manhattan more than anywhere else at times.

I have been to both and if I had a choice of going back to one for a stopover I would go for KL - cheaper, more authentic, great shopping at the markets and a great nightlife.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 04:16

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

* KL is much cheaper
    * Singapore is more compact, easier to get around by public transport (though any savings will be cancelled out by its expensive accommodations!)
    * Food is great in both, KL cheaper.
    * Drinking / bars are expensive in both.

* Singapore is better for "sight-seeing". Its main attractions are 'man-made' ones like zoos, impressive architecture, Sentosa. Some interesting cultural areas like Chinatown and Little India.
    * KL is better for exploring and soaking up the city's ambiance. People are friendlier and the city has more 'soul' than Singapore.

#4 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 20:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5402 23 Feb 2014
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4609 17 Jan 2012
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 456 3 Apr 2014
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 6931 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 2794 19 Mar 2012
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8193 31 Oct 2009
Kuala Lumpur Airport ... By tyson on 19 Oct 2011 2 1986 19 Oct 2011
Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lipe ... By globoglobo on 3 Dec 2013 0 870 3 Dec 2013
Ko Samui to Kuala Lumpur ... By ACasualObserver on 4 Feb 2013 2 1728 4 Feb 2013
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2576 31 Oct 2011