Southeast Asia forum

Shipping A Bag Home... Sea Freight?

• GreenKoolAi-
    dMan

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

Hello all,

I am leaving for Asia in 19 days and will be spending the 12 weeks after that between Singapore, Shanghai, Bangkok, Siem Reap, Battambang, and then various locales across South Korea and Japan. The first 6 weeks of my trip are going to be spent in Singapore as I am studying abroad there through the University at Buffalo. The school group is then taking a one-week trip to Shanghai.

I would like to travel light for the second leg of my trip and would like to ship one of my bags home during either my last week in Singapore or during the week in Shanghai. I was wondering if anyone here has any prior experience with shipping a bag home or any tips regarding how to do so. From the research I've done so far I have found that sea freight is the cheapest option if and when it is available.

Thanks for the help,

Drew

#1 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 12:05

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I suggest you look up the Singpost surface parcel service. I am not sure how well the postal service of China works.

http://www.speedpost.com.sg/Worldwidecomparison.html

#2 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 20:52

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I shipped home excess baggage last year by sea freight from Malaysia to London- they charge you by weight and by the size of the box you put it all in, and mine cost £10 to send a load of excess clothes, shoes, presents home (it took 3 months to arrive). We just went to a post office and they sent it from there for us. Singapore might be a little different but if anything I'd expect it to be easier and more efficient, if a bit more expensive.

#3 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 21:17

• nhatranghol-
    iday

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

I've sent around 14kg from Singapore to Poland by Singapore post. The cheapest option costed me over 100$. I bought a nice big box at the post office and put all my things there. Then they checked the weight and told me the price. It was easy and people working at the post office are very helpful. It took 2 months until my parcel arrived to Poland. At Singapore post website there is a calculator where you write your destination country and weight and you will get the price.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 22:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Shipping items back home ... By insearchofsunrise on 25 Aug 2006 9 11399 19 Oct 2010