Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia/Laos - 2 months

• JarrodPace

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi all

I am planning to spend a month in Cambodia followed by a month in Laos later this year (Oct/Nov). Bangkok is where I will fly into and out of the region. I would like to find a balance between seeing as much as I can in these two countries whilst not rushing through every town.

I have never travelled before, let alone to the region, so I was wondering if anyone experienced would be able to suggest a good route to take for this trip and which places are good to spend a little time in and which are not that worthwhile.

Thanks heaps.

#1 Posted: 2/5/2011 - 16:06

• Advertisement

• peachhead

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011
    Location Australia

Hey Mate. I will let some more informed others give you finer details on what to do and where to go however I spent 2 weeks in Cambodia and 1 week in Laos in 2009 so have a couple of suggestions.

Luang Prabang in Northern Laos is a heritage listed city at a point where the Mekong and another river meet I believe. Its amazing I enjoyed it immensely. The food and people are great. There are a bunch of tours to do around that area as well if thats your thing.

If you like to party you probably shouldnt miss going south from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. To me it may as well have been another planet, its full of tourists, lots of drinking, drugs, tubing and just general debauchery. I am sure it doesnt have to include any of these things if you dont want it too however I had a pretty amazing time there.

In Cambodia I hit the hot spots such as Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. I also did a cycling tour and went to some really remote untouched places which was amazing.

Its really great and refreshing to see your itinerary and that you are not trying to cram 4 or 5 countries in SE Asia into 2 months. I am actually spending ~6 months travelling around SE Asia starting in July/August so might run into you - hah! Basically I had such a blast I am quitting my job, selling up and going to do it properly.

#2 Posted: 8/5/2011 - 08:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.