Southeast Asia forum

6 months SE Asia help!

• henoo92

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011

hi,

im planning to go to south east asia for 6 months in either october or november 2011 but i might stay longer if i find a job somewhere, and basically want to go everywhere!
    im 19 and been thinking about it for a while now but keep putting the idea off as none of my friends want to go travelling or dont have any money, but ive decided to just go for it alone cause if not it will probs never happen. ive read lots and apparently your hardly ever alone anyway, is this true?

ill be on a budget and going for the cheapest of everything and just wondering if my plans are realistic. overall i think ill have between £3000 to £3500 so roughly £550 per month, this is just for accomodation, food, travel and some day trips etc.

( route is only rough as dont want to plan too much!)

- fly in to bangkok (few days)
    - north thailand (2 weeks)
    - loas (3 weeks)
    - vietnam - make way down south (4 weeks)
    - cambodia (3 weeks)
    - bangkok (few days)
    - south thailand (2 weeks)
    - malaysia (2 weeks)
    - indonesia (8 weeks)

is this a good route to be taking or should i be going another way?
    also any other thoughts on my trip?

thanks [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]:)

#1 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 03:44

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The money might be a little tight... you're 19 and it really depends what you do, who you hook up with, and how much you end up spending on things like partying. Alcohol can be a major drain on resources and bad things (theft, aggressions, motorbike accidents and so on) often happen when people get drunk. You should have no problem meeting people but if something doesn't feel right, get out. You don't need to stick with the very first group of people you meet on Khao San Road for example. There will always be other people to meet. Travelling around SE Asia usually involves a series of intense but short term friendships as everyone has different schedules and itineraries. Your address book will no doubt be crammed full of new friends' email addresses etc by the time you get home, but you might not remember who half of them are by then!

Your planned itinerary looks quite reasonable but you'll no doubt modify as you go along anyway. I've spent the last decade wandering about SE for 6 months a year and I generally don't bother planning anything except the first "major" destination of the trip. After that it just pans out naturally and I often decide to go somewhere I hadn't planned on the spur of the moment. SE Asia is an incredibly easy part of the world to just wing it; you'll probably be amazed how easy everything is when you get there and it's a really safe place for women to travel on their own too (as long as you exercise common sense).

The one thing I would advise is to be sure and get a return flight back home that you can modify easily and inexpensively... it's quite likely you'll end up staying more or less time than originally planned and sometimes airlines charge a lot of money for changing flight dates. And take out travel insurance as well...just so your parents don't have to sell their house if you ever need to be repatriated because of illness or an accident!

Whatever you do it will no doubt be a fantastic life changing experience for you so just go for it and enjoy!

#2 Posted: 25/5/2011 - 07:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.