Southeast Asia forum

Can I fly between the following places?

• tonysouth

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm backpacking for a couple of months in SE Asia and, in order to save time, wanted to fly between cities. These are the flights I've planned:

1. Bangkok -> Chiang Mai
    2. Vientanne -> Hanoi
    3. Hanoi -> Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon
    4. HCMC/Saigon -> Phnom Penh
    5. Phnom Penh -> Siem Reap
    6. Siem Reap -> Koh Samui

Are there any legs that I will not be able to find a flight? Also, is there an orbitz/priceline aggregator website for all of the regional airlines where I can check this? And do the SE Asian airlines penalize heavily for last-minute tickets like US carriers do?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 11:11

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Apart from the last 1 direct flights are available between places. Siem Reap -> Koh Samui has to go via BKK.

three comments:
    Bangkok -> Chiang Mai can be done by night train which should save you a considerable amount of money without loss of time.

HCMC -> Phnom Penh
    Also available by bus (6 hours) and very straight forward. If you consider transfers, check-in and so on this flight will also not save you much time.

Phnom Penh - Siem Reap
    See my last comment. Details are roughly the same.

Last two legs are a good option if you get a flight that allows a stopover for several days in either Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Stay flexible with the order of visiting Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Most flights from HCMC to cambodia make stops in both places. Or the flight from Siem Reap/Phnom Penh to Bangkok might go via Phnom Penh/Siem Reap. So check these flights carefully before booking a ticket between SR and PP.

Not much choice regarding airlines and sites like orbiz are useless for that. Best to check websites for Airasia, Jetstar, Vietnam airlines and Bangkok Airways directly. Those are the only (budget) players on those routes

#2 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 12:46

• tonysouth

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

Thank you, this is incredible!

#3 Posted: 5/6/2011 - 13:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.